Just installed new 8GB ram, still says 2.75GB usable, please help!

Dijon
11 hours ago, Lukyp said:

Isn't there an update method from Windows itself?

BTW I'm in the same situation with my server, the mobo does not have a bios with memory remap, hope it's not your case

Oh well lets hope not xD.

3 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

Ok so if the USB did t work try repeating that process using a CD-R, it’s possible

1) your system can’t boot from USB

2) Rufus didn’t make the USB properly bootable 

Well my CD drive (both write and read) dont work but I will buy a new USB and try both USB'S again if that does not work well I guess I tried everything. But this "quick post" thing it said on the BIOS that it skips some parts on the boot up, could this be the problem on which the BIOS does not go to the USB straight away?

Unlikely. I think it’s more likely that the USB wasn’t made bootablemproperly or your bios isn’t attempting to boot from usb. One of the advantages of a cd boot is you can physically hear the CD spinning up so you know it’s trying.

i soo t the usb itself is in any way faulty so don’t waste your money buying a different one. You have another pc to check the bootabiliyu of the usb?

1 hour ago, Jay Deah said:

Unlikely. I think it’s more likely that the USB wasn’t made bootablemproperly or your bios isn’t attempting to boot from usb. One of the advantages of a cd boot is you can physically hear the CD spinning up so you know it’s trying.

i soo t the usb itself is in any way faulty so don’t waste your money buying a different one. You have another pc to check the bootabiliyu of the usb?

Yup I checked it does not work.

My new USB came here today (the other one) Im gonna follow your steps and do it again, if it does not work this time the PC has faults and Im just gonna get suggestions for a cheap used Gaming PC.

Wish me luck

Ok I did the exact same thing, put "Removeable" as first in boot sequence and this is how it went. I restarted the PC and the same BIOS like sequence comes on, you know how it checks every component and that, but this time differently, instaed of saying "CHECK CD RW" it said " CHECK USB Kingston" so now its working, but after that it waited for 1 secound and then went to the OS. Was I suppoesed to press something in that short time period or is my PC messed up?

no, that means rufus steps didnt work. try googling for some "make bootable DOS usb rufus" guides

just a thought. make sure its set to FAT32 not NTFS

1 hour ago, Jay Deah said:

no, that means rufus steps didnt work. try googling for some "make bootable DOS usb rufus" guides

just a thought. make sure its set to FAT32 not NTFS

Ah so If I follow a guide on Rufus (the one you sent me earlier perhaps) then it should properly boot from USB?

14 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

it *should* yes. that tool has the ability to make a bootable dos drive!

Ah ok as soon as I have the time I will do it xD.

18 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

it *should* yes. that tool has the ability to make a bootable dos drive!

Ok just tried it, did everything correctly and I restarded PC, it started to do something then got stuck at VERIFYING DMI DEVICE", waited 10 min nothing happened and I just gave up. Was I suppoesed to wait longer or is it just not working?

not sure. sound like MAYBE it managed to boot. try deleting the AUTOEXEC.BAT file from the USB drive and booting it. it should boot up into a DOS prompt (something like C:\> )

the autoxec.bat just triggers the firmware update automatically, so without it you can manually triegger it by typing

AWDFL882.EXE W7358MLN.11D /Py /Sn /Cd /Cp /Cc /E /R

if it still doesnt boot without autoexec.bat on the drive, then the USB still isnt properly bootable :(

33 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

not sure. sound like MAYBE it managed to boot. try deleting the AUTOEXEC.BAT file from the USB drive and booting it. it should boot up into a DOS prompt (something like C:\> )

the autoxec.bat just triggers the firmware update automatically, so without it you can manually triegger it by typing

AWDFL882.EXE W7358MLN.11D /Py /Sn /Cd /Cp /Cc /E /R

if it still doesnt boot without autoexec.bat on the drive, then the USB still isnt properly bootable :(

Oh yes I did try it manually with a guide still does not work, Im gonna give up, Im searching for some PC builds gaming and will post one here to let you guys decide if its good enough. Since I give up Im gonna stop trying unfortunatly, I appreciate all the time you guys spent, especially you Jay I really appreciate your help

no problem.

to be honest youre better off getting a different PC anyway, even with more memory your system still wouldnt do well. might be worth a few quid to sell on facebook marketplace/craigslist.

56 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

no problem.

to be honest youre better off getting a different PC anyway, even with more memory your system still wouldnt do well. might be worth a few quid to sell on facebook marketplace/craigslist.

Yeah I was thinking about it last night, might not be the best system. Im in the UK so no Craiglist unfotunatly xD. But how much do you think I would be able to sell it on ebay?

Also I found a (what I think) good beginner builder system for me to build with new parts from Amazon.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz

MOTHERBOARD: MSI H110M Pro-VD

STORAGE: Western Digital 320GB

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite Series 4GB DDR4 2133 MHz

CASE: Rosewill SRM-01

PSU: EVGA 400 N1 400 WATT

All this for £302/$300 which I should be able to afford and buy all components in 3 months.

The RAM is short but the Motherboard has another slot and can support up to 32GB, so in the future I will get an upgrade. I also did my research and the Motherboard supports some Intel Core i5's and i7's, again upgradable in the future.

What do you guys think about this? All new parts from Amazon and what FPS do you think I would get with AAA titles at 720p medium settings?

On 2/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, Jay Deah said:

make sure its set to FAT32 not NTFS

FAT16 (FAT) for real dos

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

25 minutes ago, Dijon said:

All this for £302/$300 which I should be able to afford and buy all components in 3 months.

you don't need it all at once.

I'd sugest that you look at some real hardware and not some old garbage like that...

For example an Athlon 200GE is about the same class and also just about 50€ or so.

A board for that about 50€

A Stick of 8GiB Memory around 50€

That's 150€

A decent PSU like Xilence Performance A+ or be quiet System Power 9 around 40€ or so (and its better than that shit)...

And you might want a GPU as well. With the 1030 it might make sense to go for 8GiB higher speed Memory and save on the GPU and go for a Ryzen 2200G or even 2400G instead. That's about the same speed and cheaper.

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'd sugest that you look at some real hardware and not some old garbage like that...

For example an Athlon 200GE is about the same class and also just about 50€ or so.

That's 150€

A decent PSU like Xilence Performance A+ or be quiet System Power 9 around 40€ or so (and its better than that shit)...

And you might want a GPU as well. With the 1030 it might make sense to go for 8GiB higher speed Memory and save on the GPU and go for a Ryzen 2200G or even 2400G instead. That's about the same speed and cheaper.

I just got a look at this build and I think its worth to consider, but thanks for the help, will definetly look into it, ❤️

Out curiosity : Are those modules Dual Sided or Single Sided ?
As others pointed out, it's probably Memory Remap (or lack of it that is the cause).
If you pull two sticks, does 2,75GB limit remain unchanged ?
You could try decreasing memory frequency (because it is possible memory itself isn't stable).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Just now, agent_x007 said:

Out curiosity : Are those modules Dual Sided or Single Sided ?
As others pointed out, it's probably Memory Remap (or lack of it that is the cause).
If you pull two sticks, does 2,75GB limit remain unchanged ?
You could try decreasing memory frequency (because it is possible memory itself isn't stable).

Well unfortunatly my BIOS does not have the Memory Remap feature and I cant update the BIOS, And yes I did try it out with 1 stick, 2 sticks and so on, yes still at "2.75GB Usable". I did try decreasing it, still same results unfortunatly.

30 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's 150€

What about this build?:

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

8GB DDR4 (2X4gb) 2400MHz

Gigabyte A320M-S2H (Socket AM4/A320/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX) Motherboard

320GB HDD Western Drive 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Corsair CP-9020095-UK VS Series VS350 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS 350 W Power Supply Unit

Aerocool CS-1102 Mini Micro ATX Tower Computer Case - Black

All from Amazon brand new, all for exactly, £265 and I could buy a GPU later on when I get more money, like a GTX 1050 Ti.

20 minutes ago, Dijon said:

What about this build?:

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

8GB DDR4 (2X4gb) 2400MHz

Gigabyte A320M-S2H (Socket AM4/A320/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX) Motherboard

320GB HDD Western Drive 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Corsair CP-9020095-UK VS Series VS350 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS 350 W Power Supply Unit

Aerocool CS-1102 Mini Micro ATX Tower Computer Case - Black

All from Amazon brand new, all for exactly, £265 and I could buy a GPU later on when I get more money, like a GTX 1050 Ti.

With the A320 Boards you have to be careful as not all support Ryzen 2k out of the box. You might want to check that and make sure it does (like asking the Store selling it to flash the newest BIOS). https://www.overclockers.co.uk might eventually do that, possibly.

The Case is something you don't necessarily need as you already have an ATXish case. That should work. Not great but works. A bit saved on that.

For that you should get the System Power 9.

THe 320GB WD is something you use right now, right?

Because I wouldn't buy it new.

SSDs are really cheap, 240GB are like 30€ or so. That's something to look at as well.

Memory:

Get at least DDR4-2666 Memory, wich is like a couple of bucks more.

Look for example Patriot Viper Memory, DDR4-2800 maybe 3000. Its not that much more and w/o GPU you need the Memory as fast as possible.

8GiB DDR4-3200 memory seems to be way more expensive than DDR4-3000 wich is like 5-7€ more than the 2400 one.

18 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

With the A320 Boards you have to be careful as not all support Ryzen 2k out of the box. You might want to check that and make sure it does (like asking the Store selling it to flash the newest BIOS). https://www.overclockers.co.uk might eventually do that, possibly.

The Case is something you don't necessarily need as you already have an ATXish case. That should work. Not great but works. A bit saved on that.

For that you should get the System Power 9.

THe 320GB WD is something you use right now, right?

Because I wouldn't buy it new.

SSDs are really cheap, 240GB are like 30€ or so. That's something to look at as well.

Memory:

Get at least DDR4-2666 Memory, wich is like a couple of bucks more.

Look for example Patriot Viper Memory, DDR4-2800 maybe 3000. Its not that much more and w/o GPU you need the Memory as fast as possible.

8GiB DDR4-3200 memory seems to be way more expensive than DDR4-3000 wich is like 5-7€ more than the 2400 one.

Ah ok well thanks for the advice, for now I will sell the PC and I cant sell it without the case, maybe its worth £40? Im not sure but I want to sell it for as much as possible, but thanks alot for this build. Just saw some youtube videos on it and this is legit the perfect build, I really appreciate you helping, Many Thanks, Dijon.

9 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

And they are wrong. Remap is only part of it and could be the only reason if using only 4GB of DRAM. All memory addressed above 4GB doesn't need remapping IOW the upper 4GB of that 8GB should be usable as well as what is usable below in the 0-4GiB address range.

Without actually doing some investigation and just guessing, might fix it and then it might not. Sometimes it cannot be avoided, sometimes it can or maybe there's an urgency just to try everything and get it working.

• Would be nice to confirm the Northbridge, G31 doesn't map RAM above 4GB IIRC
  • BIOS Version 6.00 PG is not the firmware version, there should be a BIOS message such as "W7358MLN V1.1D  06/23/2009  MEDIONPC LN"
  • The 1.1D firmware setup shows only floppy for removable devices so perhaps setting the USB flash sector 0 to bootable FAT12 (no MBR) and using that to boot with FreeDos might work. Can Rufus do that? idk as I don't use RUFUS.
  • The W7 installation shows it's a customized version "DjaKonda" whatever that is.
  • Windows goes by what is setup before it loads and the only changes it usually makes is setting a cap limit. For instance we can use a little software to do this if we don't want Windows using a portion of memory

2.png.5a7c680f3817390d6be22c2f181cefc0.png

Perhaps it's too much work for an old system and not worth it except maybe for the learning experience. That's cool, hope you find something good :)

AWOL

3 hours ago, X_X said:

And they are wrong. Remap is only part of it and could be the only reason if using only 4GB of DRAM. All memory addressed above 4GB doesn't need remapping IOW the upper 4GB of that 8GB should be usable as well as what is usable below in the 0-4GiB address range.

Without actually doing some investigation and just guessing, might fix it and then it might not. Sometimes it cannot be avoided, sometimes it can or maybe there's an urgency just to try everything and get it working.

• BIOS Version 6.00 PG is not the firmware version, there should be a BIOS message such as "W7358MLN V1.1D  06/23/2009  MEDIONPC LN"
  • The 1.1D firmware setup shows only floppy for removable devices so perhaps setting the USB flash sector 0 to bootable FAT12 (no MBR) and using that to boot with FreeDos might work. Can Rufus do that? idk as I don't use RUFUS.
  • The W7 installation shows it's a customized version "DjaKonda" whatever that is.
  • Windows goes by what is setup before it loads and the only changes it usually makes is setting a cap limit. For instance we can use a little software to do this if we don't want Windows using a portion of memory

2.png.5a7c680f3817390d6be22c2f181cefc0.png

Perhaps it's too much work for an old system and not worth it except maybe for the learning experience. That's cool, hope you find something good :)

Yes probably xD. The guy who I bought it off downloaded this "Djakonda" thing, still dont know what it is. He had it for over 10 years. Now I have jad it for over 2 years nearly 3 years. So this thing is 12 years old which is not idea for budget gaming xD. But all I know is that the BIOS is from 2007, (sorry dont know the exact date, will look into it though", but otherwise, I'll just save up for new parts and build one myself, Thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, X_X said:

And they are wrong.

Have you any proof? Tried it with something that doesn't have Memory Remapping???

9 hours ago, X_X said:

Remap is only part of it and could be the only reason if using only 4GB of DRAM. All memory addressed above 4GB doesn't need remapping IOW the upper 4GB of that 8GB should be usable as well as what is usable below in the 0-4GiB address range.

One would think that but that's not what happens IIRC. Though I haven't tried it in a long time but if I remember correctly, I couldn't use more than ~3GiB RAM on my ASROCK X48 Board without remapping enabled...

But its a couple of months since I sold that Board so I can't test it no more.

And I don't want to set up any LGA775 System as the shit with the (lower end) Intel Chipsets is just total cancer. The castration and limitations are just awful.

9 hours ago, X_X said:

Yeah, its likely that its G31.

@Dijon could download CPU-Z and look at the Chipset tab. There should be the Chipset named...

That might help...

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Have you any proof? Tried it with something that doesn't have Memory Remapping???

One would think that but that's not what happens IIRC. Though I haven't tried it in a long time but if I remember correctly, I couldn't use more than ~3GiB RAM on my ASROCK X48 Board without remapping enabled...

But its a couple of months since I sold that Board so I can't test it no more.

And I don't want to set up any LGA775 System as the shit with the (lower end) Intel Chipsets is just total cancer. The castration and limitations are just awful.

Yeah, its likely that its G31.

@Dijon could download CPU-Z and look at the Chipset tab. There should be the Chipset named...

That might help...

Ah OK I have CPU-Z at home, Im currently away, when I get home I will take an SS of CPU-Z, maybe you guys can find something on there.