CPU, Motherboard, RAM Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

I am at the point where it is time to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM in my desktop (see PCPartPicker build below). I mostly use it as a media server for Plex and also for some light Adobe Premiere Pro video editing, with the occasional gaming mixed in. The main goal is to eliminate stuttering that is currently happening in Plex with my FX-8350 when streaming TV Shows & Movies to my AppleTV. I also use CrashPlan as my backup, which can be quite CPU intensive at times when backing up. Right now I have to make the choice to prioritize smooth playback in Plex against backing up the files on my desktop, otherwise both of them running simultaneously can easily get my CPU up to 100% usage and 50% RAM usage. Another ultimate goal would also be to playback 4K videos in Plex without running into any transcoding/stuttering issues. I also want to make sure I am getting the most value for my build and parts that will last a while before I need to upgrade again without getting into Threadripper costs. I am hoping to reuse as many parts as possible from my current build, which is probably everything except for CPU, Mobo, and RAM.

I was originally looking at the Ryzen 7 2700X with the Asus Prime X470-Pro Mobo, but want to make sure I am not getting something insufficient or potentially overkill. I don't mind waiting for Ryzen Gen 3 to come out for the Gen 2 prices to drop, so it seems like sticking with the 2700X might be the best bang for buck option at that point. The sweet spot for RAM pricing/value seems to be in the 3200 to 3000MHz range. I am open to RGB or non-RGB options. The Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (2x8GB) 3000MHz is currently on sale on Newegg for $110, which seems to be a pretty good price for the RAM, just want to make sure it's going to be compatible and fit my needs, along with the CPU and Mobo options. I was looking at staying at 16GB RAM, but don't know if that will be enough.

Planned future upgrades: 2x NVMe drives to replace SSD's, newer AIO cooler, fully modular PSU

Any help, input, or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I included as much info up front as possible, but happy to provide anything else additional. Thanks so much!

Here is my current setup: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor $59.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  
Memory Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $83.90 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $107.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.17 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $219.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB FTW+ GAMING Video Card $499.89 @ OutletPC
Case Rosewill - THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case $121.25 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - Enthusiast 750 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $20.40 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit $189.00 @ B&H
Monitor Asus - VS248H-P 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor $130.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus - VS248H-P 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor $130.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Corsair - K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  
Mouse Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse $44.50 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech - Z-2300 200 W 2.1ch Speakers $999.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2955.63
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-20 16:57 EST-0500  

you might want to upgrade your PSU aswell, a old 80+ might not be optimal.

I'd get a 2700, saves 50$ and are the same one overclocked.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

you might want to upgrade your PSU aswell, a old 80+ might not be optimal.

I'd get a 2700, saves 50$ and are the same one overclocked.

@Firewrath9 Thanks for the suggestions. I am not too familiar with the Gen 2 Ryzens, so if the 2700 can save some money for the same performance overclocked, I'm all for it!

Any suggestions for PSU wattage range? Based on PCPartPicker usage, it looks like 650 should be more than enough.

9 minutes ago, CircaMikey said:

@Firewrath9 Thanks for the suggestions. I am not too familiar with the Gen 2 Ryzens, so if the 2700 can save some money for the same performance overclocked, I'm all for it!

Any suggestions for PSU wattage range? Based on PCPartPicker usage, it looks like 650 should be more than enough.

650 will be plenty, although if there is a greater wattager vers. for same price, might aswell grab it (i.e. same price EVGA 650 G3 and 750 G3)

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

650 will be plenty, although if there is a greater wattager vers. for same price, might aswell grab it (i.e. same price EVGA 650 G3 and 750 G3)

@Firewrath9 Gotcha. Thank you so much! This is a tremendous help.

Now to figure out the RAM side of things, then I'm set.

Just now, CircaMikey said:

@Firewrath9 Gotcha. Thank you so much! This is a tremendous help.

Now to figure out the RAM side of things, then I'm set.

for ram, either get a nice looking set of rgb ram that you like (my fav is vengeance rgb pro) or get the cheapest regular model at 3000-3200mhz.

2x8 is the best amount

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

for ram, either get a nice looking set of rgb ram that you like (my fav is vengeance rgb pro) or get the cheapest regular model at 3000-3200mhz.

@Firewrath9 I've been reading a lot lately that the DDR4 is nowhere near as picky as older RAM used to be. I might just stick with the Vengeance Pro RGB that's on sale right now: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236426

I love the look of these and already use iCUE with all my other Corsair peripherals. It seems like it makes sense to get them.