File structure Hierarchy

Hello there. 

I am in need of advice. We are currently moving from an 86TB NAS to our new 45 drive 258TB NAS. In the movement of data, I want everything as organized as possible so needing opinions and thoughts on Hierarchy for our file structure.

A little bit about us

• 3 network editors and 2 graphic design.
  • Network is 10gb
  • Editing with Premier pro
  • Currently, we house all project files and graphics locally on the machines
  • We have 2 main types of footage multi-camera switched live services and Blackmagic URSA pro studio or RNG

Was using a setup like this.

• Archived services
  • Delivery
  • Music
  • Graphics(mainly for backup and sharing between us)
  • Pictures
  • Raw footage_uncut
  • Transcoded footage 

Have been editing for years but any thoughts or ideas to help us speed up and or improve our workflow would be greatly appreciated.

You definitely want to automate archival process or else nobody will ever do it. Only gotcha is deciding on how and why things are archived.

The engineering company I worked for kept it pretty simple, department > Active Projects > Project ID. The engineers did drawings (CAD) to apply the company's product to the customer's building (scaffolding / formwork / automatic-climbing-system). The coolest thing was their ACS, which freed up cranes typically used for formwork.

From inside the Project ID folder you would break it out into whatever you needed. Otherwise you end up going in and out of other folders to pull resources just for a single project.

The only problem this created was the engineers put way too much information into their folder names and back then Windows really did not like deep folders + long names.

Yea, Mikensan is bang on.  I would start with separation of each Job/Project in to it's own ID number so that can be easily located/referenced and archived if no longer required.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply