Laptop Based setup

Is a laptop based setup a viable option as Linus said in a recent video. Planning a setup based around a Gigabyte Sabre 17 (this one https://www.gigabyte.com/za/Laptop/Sabre-17-W8#kf ) with 5 tb hdd, 1 tb ssd and 16gb ram upgraded from standard as i like to work way from the table while sitting in bed or on the couch and i just like to have everything in on place, and will keep all my data on the hdd and os and games on the ssd. Now attached to this will be two 1080p monitors and peripherals and so on. All games must run on high in 1080p, games such as gta5, planet coaster, crysis, fortnite and so on. My day job will be cad architect designer on autoCAD and rivit and so on. SO in the end it will be used for gaming,workstation and movies, Now what i want to know will my plan work or should i go for a higher end laptop or rather go for a PC. 

When at all possible go for a desktop. Running a laptop at full tilt long term is asking for problems.

get a desktop unit, save money, have more power, and if needed buy a less expensive work based laptop solely for work so as not to run the risk of losing or corrupting work based files.

have just been calculating and figuring, and can get a amd system with more or less and sometimes better specs for the same money. here are the snaps for what i will get, what do you think? 

CABLES.png

FAN.png

HDD.png

LCU.png

M.2 SSD.png

R-CPU.png

R-GPU.png

R-MBD.png

SSD.png

CASE.png

LED.png

PSU.png

RAM.png

SCU.png

I would skip the sound card (integrated audio is great anymore) and put the money towards an rx580. 

That desktop will outperform the laptop and with a decent case and cooler provide you with years of thermal issue free service.

Only get laptop if you really need portability

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I would skip the sound card (integrated audio is great anymore) and put the money towards an rx580. 

That desktop will outperform the laptop and with a decent case and cooler provide you with years of thermal issue free service.

Okay, Thanks.

The CPU has a AIO Cooler on it and there is still space for 2 fans on the front of that case (decided on that case for looks and price and the cheapest on with a window.).

Will that RX 570 run everything at 1080P high. I don't need or can afford 4K monitors really. So is that upgrade to the RX580 a futureproof upgrade or a graphics upgrade to get 4k? 

I put a soundcard on because i thought the speakers would need it:

SPEAKERS.png

12 minutes ago, Charlie23 said:

Okay, Thanks.

The CPU has a AIO Cooler on it and there is still space for 2 fans on the front of that case (decided on that case for looks and price and the cheapest on with a window.).

Will that RX 570 run everything at 1080P high. I don't need or can afford 4K monitors really. So is that upgrade to the RX580 a futureproof upgrade or a graphics upgrade to get 4k? 

I put a soundcard on because i thought the speakers would need it:

SPEAKERS.png

I would make a new thread in the build planning sub forum. You are likely to get better help there if that is the path you go. The rx580 is roughly equivalent to a 1050ti the rx580 is roughly equivalent to a gtx 1060. At 1080p I can play most of what I want with my 1060 at 60 hz high or ultra details.