Sub Zero questions

Doas anybody in here have a sub zero computer that they use daily? 

If so how difficult is it to deal with the condensation issues and doas all the insulation make component upgrades difficult? Also are there any sub zero gpu systems?

Allong the same lines if i said i could build a case for sub zero cooling that is only slightly more difficult to work with than a liquid system doas that peak anybody’s interest? 

the main reason sub zero works as effectively , is that the heat exchanger for the cooler is usually moving air away from the system , as @James Evens said, the system would be closed up and the chiller is in a separate section, 

linus did a video on a case like this if youre interested , also, 

you can also use a dehumidifier , so like dew point of water would drop if you just remove some moisture from the air, so you dont have to seal up your system, but thats more effects for low temps, like chillers not sub zero as much 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Just build a closed system and remove all water/moisture before turning it on. Not to difficult to come up with a design but "slightly" expensive.

How do you build a hermetic system and still have free access to your i/o?

4 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

the main reason sub zero works as effectively , is that the heat exchanger for the cooler is usually moving air away from the system , as @James Evens said, the system would be closed up and the chiller is in a separate section, 

you can also use a dehumidifier , so like dew point of water would drop if you just remove some moisture from the air, so you dont have to seal up your system, but thats more effects for low temps, like chillers not sub zero as much 

So you’re saying a semi hermetic box with a dehumidifier blowing into it to drop dew point or just dehumidify the room?

6 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

I did see the chiller case video but that only cooled the cpu not?

You will need to build a dry air case.

IMo the best way to do this is build a sealed case, with front I/O (u can seal the I/O PCB in a mini box and seal around the wires coming out. then seal that box to the case cut out).

The rear output wires can be bundled together and sealed around. Same with the tubing for the coolant.

Add some air fittings.

Fill the case with dry air (nitrogen) Do not pressurize unless ur case is built to stand it.

Obviosly ull need to build a subzero chiller. (or direct phase change unit built into the case)

As for the components i would advise thermal grease in the socket, conformal coating aroudn it, and a neat layer of neoprene. Do what you can on the GPU aswell, u have less room to work between the block and the PCB though, so thin layers required. To make it look nice either use a motherboard that has a plastic shroud already, or build ur own.

You shouldnt 'need' this as they will be in a dry ai envirnoment incabale of producing condensation, but its just a precaution.

With that done you should be set for long term subzero use.

This was just a quick rundown.

EDIT: make sure ur o-rings can withstand subzero temps otherwise they will fail. Make sure u avoid acrylic block top, they cant handle subzero temps and will develop spider cracks and possibly fail. Use Glass or copper tubing, or if u want soft tubing though i personaly wouldnt. Avoid plastic hardtubing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 minutes ago, BiggestAl said:

So you’re saying a semi hermetic box with a dehumidifier blowing into it to drop dew point or just dehumidify the room?

the room would be the better option, because the latter could still have some moisture

but again, mainly for just cold temps not sub zero really 

7 minutes ago, BiggestAl said:

I did see the chiller case video but that only cooled the cpu not?

here he did a video on sub cooling, but his rig was well insulated, and even so he had minimum case fans, 

also you can do a gpu and cpu cooling but that would have to be custom made

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

55 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

You will need to build a dry air case.

IMo the best way to do this is build a sealed case, with front I/O (u can seal the I/O PCB in a mini box and seal around the wires coming out. then seal that box to the case cut out).

The rear output wires can be bundled together and sealed around. Same with the tubing for the coolant.

Add some air fittings.

Fill the case with dry air (nitrogen) Do not pressurize unless ur case is built to stand it.

Obviosly ull need to build a subzero chiller. (or direct phase change unit built into the case)

As for the components i would advise thermal grease in the socket, conformal coating aroudn it, and a neat layer of neoprene. Do what you can on the GPU aswell, u have less room to work between the block and the PCB though, so thin layers required. To make it look nice either use a motherboard that has a plastic shroud already, or build ur own.

You shouldnt 'need' this as they will be in a dry ai envirnoment incabale of producing condensation, but its just a precaution.

With that done you should be set for long term subzero use.

This was just a quick rundown.

EDIT: make sure ur o-rings can withstand subzero temps otherwise they will fail. Make sure u avoid acrylic block top, they cant handle subzero temps and will develop spider cracks and possibly fail. Use Glass or copper tubing, or if u want soft tubing though i personaly wouldnt. Avoid plastic hardtubing.

Very nice thank you. Is this something is already being done?

6 minutes ago, BiggestAl said:

Very nice thank you. Is this something is already being done?

Some poeple have done certian parts seperatly,  none that i can recall all in one project, though there are plenty of examples of chillboxes, which is another way of dealing with condensation, though imo a 'lesser' way as you will have to deal with ice build up on parts of the case, not to mention insulating it.

I have had a project planned for a couple years now that is pritty much this. I done a few years of research into what i wanted to do. Its on hold atm though..life likes getting in the way :P

Ill be making a custom chiller for subzero liquid cooling . aiming at -40c.  A custom case , nitrogen filled. Boutique quality build and themed. ~£5000 budget area.

I would sugest mocking up a 3d Model design for your case, it will help.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

21 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Some poeple have done certian parts seperatly,  none that i can recall all in one project, though there are plenty of examples of chillboxes, which is another way of dealing with condensation, though imo a 'lesser' way as you will have to deal with ice build up on parts of the case, not to mention insulating it.

I have had a project planned for a couple years now that is pritty much this. I done a few years of research into what i wanted to do. Its on hold atm though..life likes getting in the way :P

Ill be making a custom chiller for subzero liquid cooling . aiming at -40c.  A custom case , nitrogen filled. Boutique quality build and themed. ~£5000 budget area.

I would sugest mocking up a 3d Model design for your case, it will help.

Oh that’s awesome im dreaming up a similar build concept!

I just finished my chilled oil project, it currently sits at 7*c idle. Learned allot from that and i want to build something more towards current limits.

pic of my current prototype, forgive the mess 

C432F9F7-FEFB-40A1-8722-2110131FBE9F.jpeg

Guys this has been super helpful! You have shown me there is more than one way to skin this cat. 

Thank you very much

NP, GlLwith ur project. Keep us posted :)