Drakken Technologies Prothera Spektrum KB

Compassionate Homicide

Finally broke down and ordered a Drakken Tech Prothero Spektrum.

This KB is solid! Ordered it with Kailh browns. Haven't even installed the software yet. Weight is heavy, lighting is great, came with 5 extra key switches, plus tool to change them. Switches are hot-swappable.

I highly recommend this KB. Its only $80 USD (Amazon), and solidly built. Sleeved cord, with USB and audio pass-through. Chassis is metal.

https://www.drakkentech.com/product-page/drakken-prothero-spektrum-coming-summer-2017

https://www.amazon.com/Drakken-Technologies-Mechanical-Programmable-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B073VDMXBN?th=1

I emailed them about software updates to allow the wheel to function as volume, they said they were working on it. In the meantime, I'm fine with the FN+F2/F3 for volume. That was my only gripe.

I miss the LCD on my old Logitech G510, but damn...it's nice to have the tactile feel back. Each key can be programmed with its own color with the software. Here's a short vid of default LED colors -

Sorry for vid quality, turned all the lights off for best effect.

LINUS!!! REVIEW THIS KEYBOARD!!!!

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

I've been looking for a new keyboard, I might start considering this one now. The Amazon page is so much marketing garbage though. "Anti-ghosting" is a feature on literally every keyboard ever. "Mechanically designed by U.S. military aerospace engineers and reinforced with pure steel" give me a break.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

28 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I've been looking for a new keyboard, I might start considering this one now. The Amazon page is so much marketing garbage though. "Anti-ghosting" is a feature on literally every keyboard ever. "Mechanically designed by U.S. military aerospace engineers and reinforced with pure steel" give me a break.

The thing is solidly built. Frame has a "rubberized" texture. Like old IBM thinkpads, if you've been around long enough to remember those. Also, next to no flex at all. I can "twist" it, very little, but you can tell it isn't a plastic chassis. Packaging was great too.

For a sub-$100 mech with Kailhs, I honestly can't not recommend it. I've been looking at a new KB, that's mech, for months now. Nothing in this price range can compete. Again, I haven't installed the software yet, but hot keys work out of box. Honestly not sure about macros, as I have a N52TE for that duty.

Linus seriously needs to review this thing,

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

It's got "gamer font" keycaps, but I know those are also the cheapest double shot keycaps out there and for that price who cares. I'm sold, I'll sleep on it for a few days and if I'm still liking the idea I'll probably go for it. It's basically the same keyboard I was considering but for $40 cheaper. Just wish there were a tenkeyless model.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

21 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

It's got "gamer font" keycaps, but I know those are also the cheapest double shot keycaps out there and for that price who cares. I'm sold, I'll sleep on it for a few days and if I'm still liking the idea I'll probably go for it. It's basically the same keyboard I was considering but for $40 cheaper. Just wish there were a tenkeyless model.

You should be able to find alternative keycaps somewhere. After all, Kailhl's are fairly common switches. I have a love/hate with the cap font. My inner, old school, gamer loves it, but the more mature me is on the fence.

As I stated previously, the wheel does not adjust volume. Only dimming. (However I haven't installed software to see if it's been updated to do so). Secondly, for some reason, maybe because I haven't installed software, the KB stays lit when PC is off. Might just be a fluke with my setup.

I'm installing software tonight, so we'll see. Will report back

I'm REALLY diggin it man. For a sub-$100 mech....I can't think of any other I'd recommend.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

For the staying lit after you unplug thing I suspect you've got some "always on" ports on your motherboard for charging things.

Edit: @Compassionate Homicide derp I forgot to quote. Although you'll see it anyway since you have the thread followed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 3:47 AM, BobVonBob said:

Hey!

A bit of background on the design, the exterior was a 100% new design created internally with the support of a SpaceX engineer and Northrop Grumman Engineer who both worked on the B-2 bomber and other stealth jets. We do appreciate the feedback on marketing. If you haven't picked a keyboard yet, you should test out the Prothero, we are sure you will enjoy it. And if you have any issues or question, you can contact our customer service found on www.drakkentech.com. We answer within a few hours. Otherwise, you can return it if you're not satisfied. 

Best Regards

On 2/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, Compassionate Homicide said:

Finally broke down and ordered a Drakken Tech Prothero Spektrum.

This KB is solid! Ordered it with Kailh browns. Haven't even installed the software yet. Weight is heavy, lighting is great, came with 5 extra key switches, plus tool to change them. Switches are hot-swappable.

I highly recommend this KB. Its only $80 USD (Amazon), and solidly built. Sleeved cord, with USB and audio pass-through. Chassis is metal.

https://www.drakkentech.com/product-page/drakken-prothero-spektrum-coming-summer-2017

https://www.amazon.com/Drakken-Technologies-Mechanical-Programmable-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B073VDMXBN?th=1

I emailed them about software updates to allow the wheel to function as volume, they said they were working on it. In the meantime, I'm fine with the FN+F2/F3 for volume. That was my only gripe.

I miss the LCD on my old Logitech G510, but damn...it's nice to have the tactile feel back. Each key can be programmed with its own color with the software. Here's a short vid of default LED colors -

Sorry for vid quality, turned all the lights off for best effect.

LINUS!!! REVIEW THIS KEYBOARD!!!!

Thanks for your valuable review, glad you enjoy the Prothero. We are currently developing a brand new software with endless programming capabilities, including full programmability of the dial. If you have any questions or issues please shoot us a message on our website, www.drakkentech.com. We answer within a few hours. 

Best Regards