Not sure if this is technically Tech News worthy

As the title says, I'm not sure if this kind of 'drama' belongs in the tech news forum, so I thought I'd put it here first. Wanted to bring the situation to more peoples' attention. Another tech-tuber named Timmy Joe recently doxed someone who scammed him, and asked his followers to all go and harass the guy. I contacted the seller and it turns out he himself had been scammed and resold the part simply thinking it was incompatible. Timmy never stopped to ask about this, and simply started harassing the poor guy. I've made a video on the situation, hopefully I'm allowed to link it? I'll remove it if I'm not. Thanks.

Well he should have given him the money back since he sold it as working. If you o not know you sell it as is or this can happen.

UPDATE: Timmy Joe has removed the offending video, but hasn't entirely taken the blame.

He also blocked me on Twitter.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:59 PM, LinusOnLine said:

Well he should have given him the money back since he sold it as working. If you o not know you sell it as is or this can happen.

I'm sorry, but how can you justify a refund after 3 weeks?

In three weeks, I can purchase a 2nd hand mobo from some fella who doesn't know jack about computers, spray paint the heatsinks and tell old mate that he sold a broken board.

In no way is this realistic, and this is why there are no guarantees when buying second hand equipment.

Not taking any side of the story, I just look at the facts, which old mate Timmy Joe admitted to.

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I'm sorry, but how can you justify a refund after 3 weeks?

In three weeks, I can purchase a 2nd hand mobo from some fella who doesn't know jack about computers, spray paint the heatsinks and tell old mate that he sold a broken board.

In no way is this realistic, and this is why there are no guarantees when buying second hand equipment.

Not taking any side of the story, I just look at the facts, which old mate Timmy Joe admitted to.

I do not think the time matters if you have claimed something is working and it does not work.

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

I do not think the time matters if you have claimed something is working and it does not work.

Seller:

"It was sold because the processor I tried wasn't compatible" <-- AFAIK that would be misinformation from a different source.

Buyer:

"That doesn't make any sense...Mr painted heatsinks"

Seems to me that the seller doesn't know what he's talking about and is getting his information from Google, which is what normal people do when something isn't working, and found a source for the statement he made.

The buyer opened the box before he bought it, he said it was in a bag and looked OK. So he did inspect it. If it was in a different bag, he would have had to swap over to an anti-static bag displayed in the video. Inspecting it once more. And like old mate said, he had another mate with a compatible processor...

Here's where it gets interesting:

If it was a few days after purchase, I would've said "Okay, give him his money back" But three weeks is a considerable amount of time and good luck finding ANYONE that will back the buyers story for getting a refund after it being in possession for three weeks. There's too many variables and there have been known scams correlating with purchasing 2nd hand goods, damaging them and asking for money back. 

It's just not realistic.

4 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Seller:

"It was sold because the processor I tried wasn't compatible" <-- AFAIK that would be misinformation from a different source.

Buyer:

"That doesn't make any sense...Mr painted heatsinks"

Seems to me that the seller doesn't know what he's talking about and is getting his information from Google, which is what normal people do when something isn't working, and found a source for the statement he made.

The buyer opened the box before he bought it, he said it was in a bag and looked OK. So he did inspect it. If it was in a different bag, he would have had to swap over to an anti-static bag displayed in the video. Inspecting it once more. And like old mate said, he had another mate with a compatible processor...

Here's where it gets interesting:

If it was a few days after purchase, I would've said "Okay, give him his money back" But three weeks is a considerable amount of time and good luck finding ANYONE that will back the buyers story for getting a refund after it being in possession for three weeks. There's too many variables and there have been known scams correlating with purchasing 2nd hand goods, damaging them and asking for money back. 

It's just not realistic.

If he had sold it as is it would have been ok but he sold it as working. I think pretty much everyone I know would demand a refund even after more time than that. Might be because of consumer laws in Sweden though.

41 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

If he had sold it as is it would have been ok but he sold it as working. I think pretty much everyone I know would demand a refund even after more time than that. Might be because of consumer laws in Sweden though.

Might be buddy, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this mate. :)

Wait a second, so let me get this straight:

1. A guy sells a computer part (A Motherboard, I think - I'll be honest, I didn't watch the video), that he thinks is just incompatible with his build

2. The buyer inpsects the item in person, then buys it

3. The buyer, after 3 weeks, claims that the product is broken and thinks they got scammed

4. The buyer DOXED the seller

Did I get that right?

If so, fuck the buyer. I don't even care if he was really scammed or not, because Doxing is never okay. It's not as bad as SWATing someone, since there's no direct threat to life, but it's very shitty and can definitely lead to real world consequences for the victim of the doxing.

Depending on how the personal information was acquired, Doxing can be illegal, as well.

Now, here's the problem with waiting 3 weeks to ask for a refund: How do I know what you've done with the part in 3 weeks? If I sold it and I knew it worked, and 3 weeks later, you claim it's broken, I'd immediately assume you either broke it yourself, or that you're intentionally scamming me for a refund.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/15/2019 at 7:19 AM, dalekphalm said:

Wait a second, so let me get this straight:

1. A guy sells a computer part (A Motherboard, I think - I'll be honest, I didn't watch the video), that he thinks is just incompatible with his build

2. The buyer inpsects the item in person, then buys it

3. The buyer, after 3 weeks, claims that the product is broken and thinks they got scammed

4. The buyer DOXED the seller

Did I get that right?

If so, fuck the buyer. I don't even care if he was really scammed or not, because Doxing is never okay. It's not as bad as SWATing someone, since there's no direct threat to life, but it's very shitty and can definitely lead to real world consequences for the victim of the doxing.

Depending on how the personal information was acquired, Doxing can be illegal, as well.

Now, here's the problem with waiting 3 weeks to ask for a refund: How do I know what you've done with the part in 3 weeks? If I sold it and I knew it worked, and 3 weeks later, you claim it's broken, I'd immediately assume you either broke it yourself, or that you're intentionally scamming me for a refund.

That's practically what happened. Keep in mind that not only did he dox the seller, he asked his 84K subs to go harass the seller. His social media accounts were decimated, had to private them or disable comments. It turns out that the time period was closer to 1-2 weeks than 3, but even so. I personally wouldn't refund something after 4-5 days, unless given a very very good reason. Timmy may not have been able to easily test the board, but he could've at least taken it out of the box and seen that it was painted. He didn't.

UPDATE: Situation seems to be resolved now. Not exactly the ending I wanted, but the video is down so I'm happy with that.

All these small time YouTubers looking for attention instead of making real content. 

#GiveTimmyjoehismoneyback wasn't it......

Send in the clones..... Clearly its the only way to resolve issues.

/s

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz