My Grandma needs tech support

rocketbagel

My grandmas relatively new (compared to the time they keep other electronics) dell Inspiron 3543 laptop just lost its hard drive. It’s giving the error code 142. Does anyone know what the course of action would be to get her documents and pictures off of it. I have tried to get her to use google cloud but she insists on using Microsoft office and saving nothing to the cloud. Her photos have not been backed up either. She has three books she’s writing on the hard drive. She probably has some sort of virus, or the specific hard drive could be crappy. She leaves it plugged in 24/7 into a crappy looking two prong outlet to three prong plug adapter. All help is appreciated.

Linus Posted a video on recovering a hard drive, but if you follow the instructions you will lose all your data. So don't watch it. You will have to hire the company in the video instead, which makes me think it may have been some kind of viral video advertisement.

Just now, drinklime said:

Linus Posted a video on recovering a hard drive, but if you follow the instructions you will lose all your data. So don't watch it. You will have to hire the company in the video instead, which makes me think it may have been some kind of viral video advertisement.

Thanks

If the drive is spinning properly it is possible that the connection to the hard drive or hard drive cable came loose. I would check that first. If it isn't spinning properly, either not spinning or making noises the drive is probably dead. You can sometimes resurrect a drive for long enough to pull data off by freezing it for a few hours then putting it in a known good computer, but if that fails the drive is usually gone for good. If it isn't the cable or connection I would suggest looking around for data recovery in your area.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If the drive is dead or dying, take it to a data recovery expert. If it just got unplugged or something, it's not hard to fix.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

49 minutes ago, drinklime said:

lmao

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

55 minutes ago, drinklime said:

I don’t think you can really say not to watch a Linus video..... on his forum..... 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧