Looking to upgrade to an SSD

I Josh I
Go to solution Solved by r2724r16,
Just now, I Josh I said:

Its on sale to, so great time to get one :).  So to install it would I reinstall windows and than select the SDD as the main drive? Or how does that work.

You can do this in two different ways:

1. Clone your HDD files to your SSD usong an application like Macrium Reflect. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this on YT.

2. You can do a fresh install of Windows. You'd have to download the ISO file from Microsoft's website onto a USB. Then turn off your PC, unplug your old HDD, and plug in your new SSD. Turn on the PC and go through the installation process (it's pretty straightforward). Then turn off your PC, plug in your old HDD, turn on your PC, go into the BIOS, and boot off the SSD. Then in Windows, delete the OS from your old HDD.

I recommend going with option #2, and so would most others.

Hi all!

So I have used and have had a HDD for all of my systems and today I thought I would upgrade to an SSD. Though I am not very familiar in the area of memory, so I don't no what I should be looking at. I was eyeing this guy https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147673 but once again I am not sure what I should be looking for. I do a fair amount of gaming, but I also do quite a bit of desktop work, using programs such as Photoshop, word, and others. So I have a few questions;

Q1: Are there better SSD than others?

Q2: Are most SSD universal? Like do they fit with most MOBO's?

Q3: What SSD would you recommend for gaming/desktop work?

Q4: How hard is it to install an SSD  for the first time?

Q5: Should I re-install Windows on the SSD and completely remove the HDD?

Any tips, information, and suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

My system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz

RAM: 16.0GB Dual-channel https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232242

MOBO: Gigabyte B360 Arous gaming 3 https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145061

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

14 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

Yes. For example, the Samsung 970 PRO is better than the Kingston A400.

14 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

Yes. The most common form factors are 2.5", M.2, and occasionally PCIe 4x.

15 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

An 860 EVO, MX500 (this is my top pick), or a 970 EVO (if you're using the SSD as a scratch disk).

16 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

Not hard at all, even a zombie can do it lol.

17 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

No, keep your HDD for mass storage (photos, videos, movies, large games, etc.).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

4 minutes ago, Geography said:

Yes. For example, the Samsung 970 PRO is better than the Kingston A400.

Yes. The most common form factors are 2.5", M.2, and occasionally PCIe 4x.

An 860 EVO, MX500 (this is my top pick), or a 970 EVO (if you're using the SSD as a scratch disk).

Not hard at all, even a zombie can do it lol.

No, keep your HDD for mass storage (photos, videos, movies, large games, etc.).

So would this SSD work https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGE8TY8331&Description=860 EVO&cm_re=860_EVO-_-20-147-673-_-Product

And so I would install programs that I use often on my SSD? And leave the bulk on the HDD? Is there a video you can suggest to show how to install one? Or is it just  like plug and play?

Just now, I Josh I said:

So would this SSD work https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGE8TY8331&Description=860 EVO&cm_re=860_EVO-_-20-147-673-_-Product

And so I would install programs that I use often on my SSD? And leave the bulk on the HDD?

Yep, that's a great choice. Even I have a 1TB 860 EVO.

And you can install your OS and applications on your new SSD, and the bulk on your HDD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Geography said:

Yep, that's a great choice. Even I have a 1TB 860 EVO.

And you can install your OS and applications on your new SSD, and the bulk on your HDD.

Its on sale to, so great time to get one :).  So to install it would I reinstall windows and than select the SDD as the main drive? Or how does that work.

22 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

Yes get Samsung or Crucial. Whatever is on sale.

For gaming go with a 2.5 SATA. Easy to install.

Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB SATA III, SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Easy if it is a SATA 2.5 SSD.

Yes. No more HDs if 1tb is not enough get a 2tb.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Just now, I Josh I said:

1. Clone your HDD files to your SSD usong an application like Macrium Reflect. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this on YT.

2. You can do a fresh install of Windows. You'd have to download the ISO file from Microsoft's website onto a USB. Then turn off your PC, unplug your old HDD, and plug in your new SSD. Turn on the PC and go through the installation process (it's pretty straightforward). Then turn off your PC, plug in your old HDD, turn on your PC, go into the BIOS, and boot off the SSD. Then in Windows, delete the OS from your old HDD.

13 minutes ago, I Josh I said:

If the directions @Geography gave you and you don’t understand how to do it , please find a buddy or someone that can help you so you don’t mess up or get stumped.  

Best is to go to YouTube and search “How to install windows on SSD”

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

55 minutes ago, Geography said:

Ok, so if I was going to use option 2 I would first  put windows 10 on a USB stick using the mediacreationtool from Microsoft. Than I would shutdown my PC. After it is powered off I would than unplug my HDD and plug in my new SSD. After the SSD is plugged in I would than plug in the flash drive to the computer and turn on the PC, following the instructions. So than after I have loaded up windows, to the extent where I have access to the desktop, I would than turn off my PC once again, plugging in my old HDD, turning on my PC, than instead of loading up the desktop I would go into the BIOS find and select the option to boot from the SSD. After that, continue to the desktop, open up the HDD and delete the old os from the HDD. Hopefully I got it.

Some side questions:

Can I just format my old HDD to get rid of the old os? Also would I need some kind of bracket to put it into my driver bay?

11 hours ago, I Josh I said:

Hopefully I got it.

Can I just format my old HDD to get rid of the old os? Also would I need some kind of bracket to put it into my driver bay?

Yes, you've got it.

You can format your old HDD, but you'd lose all of you old files (along with the OS) on the HDD. As for the drive mounting, my drives are just laying in my case (they're not even secured), so I can't help with you with that one lol.