Why is system32 accessable?

Great_Mihir

I have seen many videos in YouTube about different things like registry cleaning along with other some even showed trying to bypass windows to delete system files, all of these make windows to do funny things like start menu doesnt open or empty and etc.

So my question is if system files are that much important that deleting a wrong file could corrupt entire windows why are they still there.

Why can't Microsoft just hide those system files in secret location. Not like in front as C Drive in front of user.

NOTE Here I am not talking about program files.

Do you not know what "show hidden files" is for...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

System 32 is where a lot of the pre installed tools are installed (like reg edit). You want to be able to navigate to these files outside of the cmd prompt. Additionally, people would complain if there was a storage black whole, which would be a likely affect of hiding system 32. There is also plenty of legitimate uses of that folder for fixing stuff in windows as well. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

System 32 is where a lot of the pre installed tools are installed (like reg edit). You want to be able to navigate to these files outside of the cmd prompt. Additionally, people would complain if there was a storage black whole, which would be a likely affect of hiding system 32. There is also plenty of legitimate uses of that folder for fixing stuff in windows as well. 

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

You can lock down windows but actually it is annoying that you can not modify any system file while running windows and need to boot a linux to modify those files.

But can't we just hide it for the normal user and experienced user who knows the uses and benefits of accessing it can use it from that hidden place.

I am not saying to lock it down I am just saying that we should hide it from normal user who doesn't know much about computers.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think OP meant that but why core OS files aren't fully protected from modifications, yes there are certain locks as permissions but even stuff like CCleaner can ruin your day if it has access to system32 or syswow64 files

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

But can't we just hide it for the normal user and experienced user who knows the uses and benefits of accessing it can use it from that hidden place

But it is hidden by default...? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I don't think OP meant that but why core OS files aren't fully protected from modifications, yes there are certain locks as permissions but even stuff like CCleaner can ruin your day if it has access to system32 or syswow64 files

Yaa its perfect example CCleaner Registry cleaner option if used incorrectly can ruin the entire system.

Anyone without much knowledge of PC will just do registry cleanup thinking it will make guys PC fast but opposite can happen.

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

But it is hidden by default...? 

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They are not already hidden and guys I am talking about System32 and Syswow64 files.

12 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

He asked why they are are not hidden. But they are. You literally need to check the "show hidden files" option in file explorer to see them.

3 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

Yaa its perfect example CCleaner Registry cleaner option if used incorrectly can ruin the entire system.

Uh no.

There is literally no way to ruin your system with ccleaner registry cleaner.
You can check every box there and run it and nothing bad will happen because it only deletes things which are safe to remove.

In fact it even comes with every box checked by default.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

its your own fault when you fuck up the system with 3rd party program... also why would your normal user even go to that folder?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

12 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Just make it hidden in the explorer so it don't show up?

Its not about me. Its just about many people out there who uses the PC for first time it can ruin there expirence just one false delete or something like that.

Someone might Format the C drive thinking it talking up there space.

4 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

Someone might Format the C drive thinking it talking up there space.

if the computer is running you cannot format the C drive

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

if the computer is running you cannot format ?

Ohh I didn't know that ...Sry?

37 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

I have seen many videos in YouTube about different things like registry cleaning along with other some even showed trying to bypass windows to delete system files, all of these make windows to do funny things like start menu doesnt open or empty and etc.

So my question is if system files are that much important that deleting a wrong file could corrupt entire windows why are they still there.

Why can't Microsoft just hide those system files in secret location. Not like in front as C Drive in front of user.

NOTE Here I am not talking about program files.

Well I somewhat agree with you.

Those files should be tucked away in a developer folder for system admins.

they should not be so easy to access.

Won’t visit often..

31 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

The reason why it's that accesible is because most of us use "admin accounts", we are the main users and want to have full access, you can obviously create users with certain restrictions, there are folders which requires admin permission to open, and we can open them for a reason

If you want to be more secure just use a user with restriction, most of the time that's all you need

You are right due to admin account we have access to those files but many users who doesn't even know what admin account mean get access to those files which makes there system at risk. For eg if I buy a new prebuild PC I will land directly at desktop as admin when I turn it on and many people won't even bother to change it because they are mostly unaware of it.

40 minutes ago, Enderman said:

He asked why they are are not hidden. But they are. You literally need to check the "show hidden files" option in file explorer to see them.

Uh no.

There is literally no way to ruin your system with ccleaner registry cleaner.
You can check every box there and run it and nothing bad will happen because it only deletes things which are safe to remove.

In fact it even comes with every box checked by default.

CCleaner can ruin system sometime you can search online there are in many places about CCleaner ruining the system and it has happened once to my friend so I am pretty sure that CCleaner Registry cleaner can do harm.

41 minutes ago, Neftex said:

its your own fault when you fuck up the system with 3rd party program... also why would your normal user even go to that folder?

Its doesn't become my fault if 3rd party program get access to system files whose meaning not even I can understand. Its just they can be too easily accessible even by me and programs I install. Let say a older person of 80 using computer for searching install a program which can ruin his entire system!!! ( Supposed he doesn't have antivirus!!!)

19 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

CCleaner can ruin system sometime you can search online there are in many places about CCleaner ruining the system and it has happened once to my friend so I am pretty sure that CCleaner Registry cleaner can do harm.

Maybe in the past, not anymore.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, drinklime said:

IT'S A BAD DESIGN FROM MICROSOFT. THERE I SAID IT!

It’s actually a good design because it allows people to modify windows 10 without having to do anything illegal to get the files. Plus I’m pretty sure that’s where you can add and remove fonts

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

30 minutes ago, Great_Mihir said:

Its doesn't become my fault if 3rd party program get access to system files whose meaning not even I can understand. Its just they can be too easily accessible even by me and programs I install. Let say a older person of 80 using computer for searching install a program which can ruin his entire system!!! ( Supposed he doesn't have antivirus!!!)

the 3rd party program doesnt have access to the files unless you give it permission (via UAC prompt), thats on you

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

7 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

It’s actually a good design because it allows people to modify windows 10 without having to do anything illegal to get the files. Plus I’m pretty sure that’s where you can add and remove fonts

You can add and remove fonts in settings of Windows 10 too. Also from control panel