Unable to reset CMOS/BIOS password.

Hello,

I have an Acer Travelmate 8473 which i bought from my high school and intend to use for university. After purchasing i removed the "intel ssd 320 series 120gb" and proceeded to delete everything off of it from another computer to remove everything from it and install windows 10 (previously had windows 7). However, while choosing the partitions to install on it would say 

"the hard disk space is formatted with an unsupported version of the ntfs file system" and something to do with a setting in the bios. However, i am unable to enter the bios due to a "password/unlock key" 

I have tried without any success

- removing the CMOS battery for approx an hour.

- jumping the G2201 gap 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/232773/Acer-Travelmate-6495t.html?page=68#manual (the instructions i followed)

If anyone has a solution i could try please reply. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for reading!

not sure how to reset the bios password, but you may be able to get it working without doing that. have to tried reformatting the drive on another pc? if not, try plugging the drive into another pc the same way you wiped it and reformat it to have 1 large ntfs partition. then reinstall it and try installing windows. if that doesn't work, you will need help from somebody more experienced than myself.

I wish you the best of luck.

The Beast:

i9 9900k (5.1Ghz all cores)
2080ti FE
32gb 2x16 trident z royal 3200c14
xi hero mobo
evga 1300 80+ gold
2x 1tb 970 pro
1tb 860 evo
6tb wd red
view 71 case

Custom loop (cpu & gpu)
420 & 360mm rads, ek water blocks.
asus PG279Q 27in 1440p 144hz ips gsync monitor

K70 mk2 k/b, G502 mouse, hyper x cloud revolver s headset.

(FOR SALE)

Sager NP8372

i7 7820hk, GTX 1070, 32gb ram, 17.3 in G sync display at 90hz. 500gb 960 evo. less than 1in thick.

Trident Z rgb 2x16 3200c14

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1066259-trident-z-rgb-2x16-3200c14-fs/

Just now, Falco5150 said:

not sure how to reset the bios password, but you may be able to get it working without doing that. have to tried reformatting the drive on another pc? if not, try plugging the drive into another pc the same way you wiped it and reformat it to have 1 large ntfs partition. then reinstall it and try installing windows. if that doesn't work, you will need help from somebody more experienced than myself.

Hey,

Thank you for your reply, this did fix the ntfs! however, it continues to pop up with "thus computers hardware may not support booting disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the BIOS menu.

Really appreciate it thought, thank you 

3 minutes ago, Sleekz said:

Hey,

Thank you for your reply, this did fix the ntfs! however, it continues to pop up with "thus computers hardware may not support booting disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the BIOS menu.

Really appreciate it thought, thank you 

no problem.

unfortunately I can't really help you out any further as I'm not familiar enough with the issue, and it sounds to me like you may have to get into the bios to continue.

I would however recommend posing some pictures of the popup you're getting so somebody else could help you out better.

good luck to you.

The Beast:

i9 9900k (5.1Ghz all cores)
2080ti FE
32gb 2x16 trident z royal 3200c14
xi hero mobo
evga 1300 80+ gold
2x 1tb 970 pro
1tb 860 evo
6tb wd red
view 71 case

Custom loop (cpu & gpu)
420 & 360mm rads, ek water blocks.
asus PG279Q 27in 1440p 144hz ips gsync monitor

K70 mk2 k/b, G502 mouse, hyper x cloud revolver s headset.

(FOR SALE)

Sager NP8372

i7 7820hk, GTX 1070, 32gb ram, 17.3 in G sync display at 90hz. 500gb 960 evo. less than 1in thick.

Trident Z rgb 2x16 3200c14

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1066259-trident-z-rgb-2x16-3200c14-fs/

1 hour ago, Sleekz said:

Hello,

I have an Acer Travelmate 8473 which i bought from my high school and intend to use for university. After purchasing i removed the "intel ssd 320 series 120gb" and proceeded to delete everything off of it from another computer to remove everything from it and install windows 10 (previously had windows 7). However, while choosing the partitions to install on it would say 

"the hard disk space is formatted with an unsupported version of the ntfs file system" and something to do with a setting in the bios. However, i am unable to enter the bios due to a "password/unlock key" 

I have tried without any success

- removing the CMOS battery for approx an hour.

- jumping the G2201 gap 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/232773/Acer-Travelmate-6495t.html?page=68#manual (the instructions i followed)

If anyone has a solution i could try please reply. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for reading!

I think your best option here is to go back to the person that you bought it from at the school and get them to unlock the BIOS/reset the password for you. I had the same issue with a Laptop that i got from my old place of work, and this is the most simple solution. If everything is above board, they should be more than happy to oblige :)

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers