DNS Server not responding

Shinela

Hi!

I've been struggling with this for ages now, but my desktop keeps having trouble with its DNS server connections. Usually ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew, etc etc works, but only for a day maybe two and then I lose DNS connection again.

It also happens at random times, no real reason to it. I do say my destop, since my mobile or laptop both have no trouble with it (My desktop is the only one using ethernet connection, the other two are connected by WiFi).

As I'm writing this in specific on my laptop, my desktop is not able to connect to the DNS servers at this very moment in time.

I've looked up many guides and videos online but they all just work for temporary moments. A few days.

Resetting my router too just works for a short time itself, too.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Or could be causing this? I can give you any information you ask if you need it, but I don't want to spam the full list here now just incase it's unecessary.

Thanks in advance!

Shinela

Just now, Shinela said:

Hi!

I've been struggling with this for ages now, but my desktop keeps having trouble with its DNS server connections. Usually ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew, etc etc works, but only for a day maybe two and then I lose DNS connection again.

It also happens at random times, no real reason to it. I do say my destop, since my mobile or laptop both have no trouble with it (My desktop is the only one using ethernet connection, the other two are connected by WiFi).

As I'm writing this in specific on my laptop, my desktop is not able to connect to the DNS servers at this very moment in time.

I've looked up many guides and videos online but they all just work for temporary moments. A few days.

Resetting my router too just works for a short time itself, too.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Or could be causing this? I can give you any information you ask if you need it, but I don't want to spam the full list here now just incase it's unecessary.

Thanks in advance!

Shinela

Some causes could be 

1.) Your Router is Faulty

2.) Your plugged into a switch that is faulty

3.) Your Ethernet Jack in your mobo has wrong driver or is faulty,

4.) You have some malware on your computer. Proxy, or Host File modifications.

Does your DNS work in safe mode with networking. You could also download a live disc of Ubuntu and see if that works fine for a while, dont install it just run it off the disc. That would tell you if its windows or hardware.

2 minutes ago, BB TECH said:

Some causes could be 

1.) Your Router is Faulty

2.) Your plugged into a switch that is faulty

3.) Your Ethernet Jack in your mobo has wrong driver or is faulty,

4.) You have some malware on your computer. Proxy, or Host File modifications.

Does your DNS work in safe mode with networking. You could also download a live disc of Ubuntu and see if that works fine for a while, dont install it just run it off the disc. That would tell you if its windows or hardware.

1) Possible, but doubt it. Router has been changed no less than a year ago, tops. But it's Belgium, who knows. Moving to sweden in a few months, though.

2) Not completely sure what you mean by this. If you mean the wall socket, then it shouldn't be the issue at all.

3) Driver could be wrong, but I've only been experiencing this issue since this year, for since I've had the computer. I don't recall changing the driver (Checking it, the network adapter driver was last updated 2014. Maybe that needs an update then? It says it's up to date, though, when I ask it to look for updates. (I restarted my PC so I have a DNS connection now for.. a day or so anyway.)

4) Definitely no malware on it.

DNS works in safe mode, until of course I lose connection to it again somewhere along the way. Can go for a few hours to a few days.

4 minutes ago, Shinela said:

1) Possible, but doubt it. Router has been changed no less than a year ago, tops. But it's Belgium, who knows. Moving to sweden in a few months, though.

2) Not completely sure what you mean by this. If you mean the wall socket, then it shouldn't be the issue at all.

3) Driver could be wrong, but I've only been experiencing this issue since this year, for since I've had the computer. I don't recall changing the driver (Checking it, the network adapter driver was last updated 2014. Maybe that needs an update then? It says it's up to date, though, when I ask it to look for updates. (I restarted my PC so I have a DNS connection now for.. a day or so anyway.)

4) Definitely no malware on it.

DNS works in safe mode, until of course I lose connection to it again somewhere along the way. Can go for a few hours to a few days.

1.) Routers can die at any time or have some firmware issue, they update all the time.

2.) Switch would be a like below. One in to many, say if you had a pc, xbox etc.

D-Link DES-105 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch

3.)Windows updates can update your driver at any time, but you could try updating it, nothing to do with the wall jack.

4.) Malware scan might not be a bad idea nevertheless

Using a live disc would be a good step, it completely eliminates windows from the equation. that way you can use  the browser in ubuntu to see if the same issue occurs.

there is really only so many possibilities, but if i had to guess, i would say its your router. 

Why dont you take your computer that you say works fine on wireless and plug it in corded and see if you have the same issue. i have seen many a router die on the ethernet and not on wifi, many many times. 

6 minutes ago, BB TECH said:

1.) Routers can die at any time or have some firmware issue, they update all the time.

2.) Switch would be a like below. One in to many, say if you had a pc, xbox etc.

D-Link DES-105 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch

3.)Windows updates can update your driver at any time, but you could try updating it, nothing to do with the wall jack.

4.) Malware scan might not be a bad idea nevertheless

Using a live disc would be a good step, it completely eliminates windows from the equation. that way you can use  the browser in ubuntu to see if the same issue occurs.

there is really only so many possibilities, but if i had to guess, i would say its your router. 

Why dont you take your computer that you say works fine on wireless and plug it in corded and see if you have the same issue. i have seen many a router die on the ethernet and not on wifi, many many times. 

1) It's a distinct possibility, of course. I'll see how it goes. Luckily it's under warranty, so that shouldn't be an issue to replace.

2) I know what you mean now. It'll run through my elimination rounds after I've tested the cord on my laptop first to see if the issue replicates itself there.

3) Updated my drivers in the meantime by finding the drivers manually. Windows updates are the worst though xD

4) I know, but my desktop gets a thorough start-up scan every wednessday. I hardly doubt the issue is there, but I'll run one just in case.

As said, I'll try seeing if it's anything to do with the cord and/or pure ethernet connection. I'm not too big on using wifi personally for my gaming, and my desktop doesn't actually even have a wifi plug, but I'll do with my laptop for a few days to test.

Just now, Shinela said:

1) It's a distinct possibility, of course. I'll see how it goes. Luckily it's under warranty, so that shouldn't be an issue to replace.

2) I know what you mean now. It'll run through my elimination rounds after I've tested the cord on my laptop first to see if the issue replicates itself there.

3) Updated my drivers in the meantime by finding the drivers manually. Windows updates are the worst though xD

4) I know, but my desktop gets a thorough start-up scan every wednessday. I hardly doubt the issue is there, but I'll run one just in case.

As said, I'll try seeing if it's anything to do with the cord and/or pure ethernet connection. I'm not too big on using wifi personally for my gaming, and my desktop doesn't actually even have a wifi plug, but I'll do with my laptop for a few days to test.

Yes if it repeats on your laptop corded. Just make sure you turn the wireless switch off on your laptop or make it forget the wireless network. You dont want it being on wifi the whole time confusing the issue. Just make sure its not connected wifi on your laptop.

What makes you 100% sure the problem is your DNS server?

easiest way to rule out internet connection issue vs DNS issue.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but you cant ping google.com. This would indicate DNS fault.

If you cant ping both your internet is likely down.

If the problem is 100% DNS related. Try change the DNS server in your NIC settings to 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) Your first step is to isolate the problem. Then we can work out a fix for it.

I was also going to query it being DNS, seeing as ipconfig /release /renew are DHCP related.

Are you having to perform all three as I don't see why you would need to /flushdns if its DHCP related, nor should you need to /release /renew if its a DNS issue. (although if Windows somehow forgot the DNS servers then forcing a DHCP renew would result in it requesting them again from the router)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, W4terF0x said:

What makes you 100% sure the problem is your DNS server?

easiest way to rule out internet connection issue vs DNS issue.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but you cant ping google.com. This would indicate DNS fault.

If you cant ping both your internet is likely down.

If the problem is 100% DNS related. Try change the DNS server in your NIC settings to 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) Your first step is to isolate the problem. Then we can work out a fix for it.

For example, I can still play WoW with connection but I can't open google.com or any other site.

When I right click my connection going "Troubleshoot problems" it says "The DNS server is not responding"

I'm right now testing the cord on my laptop, no issues so far but it can take a while :P

When the problem occurs what does ipconfig /all show as the DNS servers?

Can you then ping those servers? (if any are listed)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7