HTC Vive Roomscale

The Future Linus

I'm asking about this because I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer online. How many base stations does the HTC Vive need for roomscale, and do you think that it would be a better investment to just get the stock Vive as apposed to a Rift with an extra sensor? Thanks.

When you buy the first gen Vive (also known as the original Vive. So NOT the Vive Pro) you get the base stations with the headset itself. To answer the qustion: It is possible to go room scale with one sensor HOWEVER, it can only track one side of you. So anything you do with your controllers when they are out of sight for the sensor it will not track. The recommended and standard amount is 2 sensors set up diagonally in the room under the sealing.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, The Future Linus said:

The original comes with 2 sensors, doesn't it?

Yep, two lighthouses (what the sensors are called) are needed for good roomscale. The normal Vive includes everything you need. For the Pro version you'll need the "accessory" pack that has the controllers and lighthouses. The Pro isn't really worth it for a normal consumer, in my opinion, since it's so much more expensive.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB