Plex Subtitles

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
3 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

The sub would be, I assume, the same title as the actual mkv file? Also, where would I place those subtitles exactly? I didn't see a place to place them in.

Yes, and you'd place them where the movie-file is, in the same folder.

Hi. I saw that Plex has some subtitles options but I am not looking to burn them into the videos. In fact, I had to painstakingly remove the ones already in the videos using handbrake and MKV Toolnix. Now, I decided to download some subs from a website but so far, I haven't seen a way to utilize them with Plex. I want to be able to passively use subs and not actively use them. The problem with burned in subs is that they are often, as I have seen, started by default regardless of the options of different players I have used. Since I will not only use Plex (as I may use MPC for example), I definitely need to have passive subs and not burned in the video.

Any ideas, suggestions or tips?

14 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

The problem with burned in subs is that they are often, as I have seen, started by default regardless of the options of different players I have used.

Burned-in subs are subs that have already been rendered into the picture, you're thinking of embedded subs.

16 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I want to be able to passively use subs and not actively use them

Whether subs are used or not is a function of the player you use, not the subs themselves. You can use external subtitles with Plex by naming them correctly, like e.g. with English .srt - files they'd be in the form of moviename.en.srt or moviename.fi.srt for Finnish, but whether the subtitles will play by default is, like I said, up to your player.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

hard subs cannot be removed (ones encoded into the video stream) soft subs which are sometimes seperate subtitle files or are included in the mkv can be set to display default but it is the funtion of your player, and you probably need to choose a preferred language.

52 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Burned-in subs are subs that have already been rendered into the picture, you're thinking of embedded subs.

Whether subs are used or not is a function of the player you use, not the subs themselves. You can use external subtitles with Plex by naming them correctly, like e.g. with English .srt - files they'd be in the form of moviename.en.srt or moviename.fi.srt for Finnish, but whether the subtitles will play by default is, like I said, up to your player.

Yes, that is what I meant. Yeah, I know that the player will play it by default (or not). The sub would be, I assume, the same title as the actual mkv file? Also, where would I place those subtitles exactly? I didn't see a place to place them in.

3 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

The sub would be, I assume, the same title as the actual mkv file? Also, where would I place those subtitles exactly? I didn't see a place to place them in.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Nice, it works as I wanted it to. Except that for some reason, it says Unknown Source. Not sure why, but whatever lol. Thanks for the tip :)