Upgrading mom's desktop advice

Hi, I'm planning on upgrading the desktop I built for my mom 5ish years ago. The primary reason is she will need WiFi soon and instead of adding a wireless card I'd rather upgrade the core components. Her current system includes:

i3 3225

Asus P8H77-I

2x4GB Corsair DDR3

2x1TB WD Blue

Corsair semi-modular powersupply (maybe a cx500, I cant remember)

BitFenix Prodigy

I'll be adding an 860 evo 500GB this weekend, making it the os+programs drive, and using one HDD for storage and the other for backups. She has a small book keeping business which is the desktops primary use.

Also something of note is that when I originally built it I installed 32 bit windows because I was an idiot. So I have to reinstall windows anyways so I figured I'd combine it will the SSD install.

Currently the plan is to go with an:

Intel i3 8100

Asus ROG Strix B360-I Motherboard (I'm partial to Asus and its not too expensive on Newegg canada)

2x4GB DDR4 (whatever is cheapish at the time of purchase)

It's a pretty basic upgrade but is there any other boards or processors I should consider?

What could I do with the old hardware? Would it work for an HTPC or something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

why not get a used i7-3770 (120$), and 2x8 ddr3 (80$)

200$ vs i3-8100 (120$) + mobo (120$) + ram (100)

all prices usd, so convert to CAD

I'd say go with an Asus PRIME board instead of the Strix; those are cheaper and more basic, which would be better suited for a generic PC like this. Otherwise I think it will be fine.

The old PC could be used as an HTPC, I'd maybe throw in a GT 1030 for a bit more graphics power and to lighten the CPU load.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Its a decent upgrade, the only thing I might consider is if Ryzen would be cheaper for a similar (or better) specification.

The old system would work as an HTPC, depending on what codecs you are using for the video files.

Not sure how it would handle H265 or 4K, but for 1080p H264 I would expect it to be fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

why not get a used i7-3770 (120$), and 2x8 ddr3 (80$)

200$ vs i3-8100 (120$) + mobo (120$) + ram (100)

all prices usd, so convert to CAD

I'd rather buy new components for warranty purposes and Id also still have to get a wireless card to solve the original problem.

7 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

I'd say go with an Asus PRIME board instead of the Strix; those are cheaper and more basic, which would be better suited for a generic PC like this. Otherwise I think it will be fine.

The old PC could be used as an HTPC, I'd maybe throw in a GT 1030 for a bit more graphics power and to lighten the CPU load.

As far as their website goes Asus doesn't have an ITX prime board with WiFi for LGA 1151. Thanks, I'll keep the 1030 in mind for the old parts.

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a decent upgrade, the only thing I might consider is if Ryzen would be cheaper for a similar (or better) specification.

The old system would work as an HTPC, depending on what codecs you are using for the video files.

Not sure how it would handle H265 or 4K, but for 1080p H264 I would expect it to be fine.

Hmm, oh ok, I haven't really consider Ryzen, I usually stick with Intel but I'll take a look at it. I'll have to look into the codecs more, I'm not that knowledgeable on them, thanks for the advice.