The Games Factory

Kamjam66xx

Anyone else play with "The Games Factory" when they were a little kid? I loved it. It exposed me to digital media production when i was 6.

But the best thing i ever made was a gta2 clone where you could drive a car and run people over, and walk, but no guns to shoot or anything. I learned the long lost art of pixel by pixel sprites from that great piece of software. 

Edit: what do you call the skill of pixel by pixel sprites? I want to add it to my resume now lol.

12 minutes ago, Kamjam66xx said:

what do you call the skill of pixel by pixel sprites?

8bit artist/animator. something like that I guess

Pixel artists. I didn’t have that but wish I did. 

I didn’t start messing with games or programming till I was like 17. 

I didn’t really know any better & no one told me about it. None of the games I had had tools except new Vegas & they were weren’t officially supported for a while. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Pixel artists. I didn’t have that but wish I did. 

I didn’t start messing with games or programming till I was like 17. 

I didn’t really know any better & no one told me about it. None of the games I had had tools except new Vegas & they were weren’t officially supported for a while. 

i didnt start taking it seriously until 4 or 5 months ago. But now i posses pretty much every skill under the sun in digital-multimedia.

I maxed out my linked in with 50 skills , softwares, and programming languages.

Edit: im 24 now.

7 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

8bit artist/animator. something like that I guess

I added "pixel art" & "sprites" to my linked in.

1 hour ago, Kamjam66xx said:

i didnt start taking it seriously until 4 or 5 months ago. But now i posses pretty much every skill under the sun in digital-multimedia.

I maxed out my linked in with 50 skills , softwares, and programming languages.

Edit: im 24 now.

I’m no expert but I’ve been told, focusing on 1 skill or 1 discipline within that skill is better than being partially decent at many things. 

For instance, I know maya & I know music composition but I don’t list those skills because I’m focusing on programming & not that good at the other skills as I am programming. Most of my profile lists programming stuff. I have a specific discipline (I won’t mention) & sweeep other technologies I use but don’t care for under the rug. 

However i want to work at AAA companies & make grand games. I don’t want to be an indie and do half the game myself. I don’t like 2D art, texture unwrapping nor texturing. 

(I won’t link my profile. Not even in a PM. This is a social environment & that’s my professional environment.) 

34 minutes ago, fpo said:

I dont think you have to be amatuer to have the full array of digital media production skills. I already made my own 3D graphics engine, im improving it and using it to make a side scrolling 2 player arena game like super smash bros (but with droids and guns).

I honestly hate uv wrapping & unwrapping + texutring (however it feels awesome to actually have good texturing on your 3D models). But ill do it, and ive been 3D modeling all of this for it. But i honestly started when i was 6, so most of it is second nature to me. Programming im newer to the professional side. My game/render engine is written in c++ and openGL, and i still have quite a bit left to do on it. 

1549481814972248725372.thumb.jpg.6e0769163c2542bc2a3eb9c45da81d24.jpg

Edit: i think the first 3D software i used was MilkShape3D when i was about 8 or 9.

@Kamjam66xx ahh. Nvm then. Most people aren’t nearly as advanced as you are.

nice engine! I was considering learning Vulkan to make my 3D engine. 

Is it 100% open gl? Like for the buttons on the top. 

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

@Kamjam66xx ahh. Nvm then. Most people aren’t nearly as advanced as you are.

nice engine! I was considering learning Vulkan to make my 3D engine. 

Is it 100% open gl? Like for the buttons on the top. 

Oh sorry, this is a picture inside of C4D! My render engine is openGL entirely, i have textures, lighting, camera, mouse control, movement keys, specular, diffuse, a skybox, and some neat things similar to PCF. I still have a ways to go on that. 

Im planning on learning Vulkan too, and started with openGL because the transition isnt suppose to he hard. But i was told openGL is easier to start with.

Like i have to add animations, bump maps, reflection, transparency, etc.