windows 10 wont make system image or backup

jiggers84

I cant get windows 10 to make a backup or system image. I have googled and tried every fix i have found. nothing works........ please help.

backup error.jpg

Theres always (free) veeam software.

Or a live boot linux image with pv or dd: (cloning your whole drive with empty space to another as a file). dd has never failed me for really important backups. ddrescue is handy when the drive is literally on its last leg, and all other methods fail

pv < /dev/source > /media/dest/backup.img
dd if=/dev/source  of=/media/dest/backup.img

There are lots of weird things that can happen with Windows' built in system image backups.  Personally I'd recommend using a 3rd party backup software, there are a number of free for home use options out there that are easy to use and gives just as much or more functionality.  Macrium Reflect is one that I've used a bunch before and have been quite happy with:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Otherwise if you want to continue with Windows backup, you can start with a few basic troubleshooting tests.

1. Can you write to the destination?  Try making a text file and make sure you can save it where you are trying to get the backup to go.
  2. Are you using a USB drive or network location?  If it's a network location is your connection good?
  3. Have you tried different destinations?

It's likely an issue with where you're trying to send the backups based on the error.