Power Supply

FallenEngineer
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Video cards are allowed to take up to ~75w from the pci-e slot, and 75w or 150w from each pci-e 6pin / 8 pin connector.

So if a video card has only one pci-e 8 pin connector, in its default configuration, before you manually overclock, it's not allowed to consume more than 150w + 75w = ~ 225 watts.

For reference, nvidia cards use up to

gtx1070 : 175w,

gtx 1080 : 185w

rtx 2060 : 160w

rtx 2070 : 185w (for the reference version)

rtx 2080 : 225w

rtx 2080ti : 260w

Newer cards often use less power at the same performance level, because the chips are used with smaller transistors and components, so as a consequence they need smaller voltages and less power to operate.

In the case of RTX series, the power consumption is not less compared to GTX 1070 because they added more stuff in the chips, it's not just the same processor shrunk to save power, it's another processor with more brains in it

hi guys, recently someone saying that i may lack of power supply (Antec 550w)

i use r7 2700x and gtx 1070, (i leave them auto overclock)

16gb ram, watercooling, couple rgb fans, sata ssd, 1 hard disk, couple gaming peripheral

i have several questions, they are?

1. does my power supply currently enough?

2. if i want to upgrade to rtx 2070, will it be enough?

3. if (ver low chance) i goes to gtx 1080 or 2080, will it be enough?

thank you very much

6 minutes ago, FallenEngineer said:

Antec 550w

Thats a brand and wattage

Whats the actual model of it?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Thats a brand and wattage

Whats the actual model of it?

Antec Earthwatt Gold Pro 550w (Gold Rating)

13 minutes ago, FallenEngineer said:

i have several questions, they are?

1. does my power supply currently enough?

2. if i want to upgrade to rtx 2070, will it be enough?

3. if (ver low chance) i goes to gtx 1080 or 2080, will it be enough?

1. Yes

2. Very common misconception, GPUs (especially from Nvidia!) don't use more power as cards come out. The goal is to be more efficient and perform the same as the previous generation of cards, if not better. So basically, the 2070 won't use a shitload more power because it's a newer, better card. 

3. Yeah it'll probably be fine but I personally think getting 650w is good for an overclocked GPU and CPU. 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

1. Yes

2. Very common misconception, GPUs (especially from Nvidia!) don't use more power as cards come out. The goal is to be more efficient and perform the same as the previous generation of cards, if not better. So basically, the 2070 won't use a shitload more power because it's a newer, better card. 

3. Yeah it'll probably be fine but I personally think getting 650w is good for an overclocked GPU and CPU. 

number 2 is what i need the most. but do you know what probably how many rtx 2070 full system will pull at full load?

thank you :D

4 minutes ago, FallenEngineer said:

number 2 is what i need the most. but do you know what probably how many rtx 2070 full system will pull at full load?

thank you :D

It depends on the card, if you're overclocking it, and what things you plan to do with it. I don't know how much they exactly consume but if you go to the specific card you plan to buy, they should list the maximum amount of power the card will use. It'll be labled "TDP" and if you can't find anything, I'm sure a quick google search of "TDP of <insert card brand/model> RTX 2070" you can find something.

Also, I thought I bring up two things.

1) What CPU do you have, what games are you playing, and are their any work tasks that you're doing (like 3D modeling, pretty much just non-gaming workstation tasks)?

2) The RTX 2080 and GTX 1080 do not perform the same. The RTX 2070 performs like a GTX 1080.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

It depends on the card, if you're overclocking it, and what things you plan to do with it. I don't know how much they exactly consume but if you go to the specific card you plan to buy, they should list the maximum amount of power the card will use. It'll be labled "TDP" and if you can't find anything, I'm sure a quick google search of "TDP of <insert card brand/model> RTX 2070" you can find something.

Also, I thought I bring up two things.

1) What CPU do you have, and what games are you playing?

2) The RTX 2080 and GTX 1080 do not perform the same. The RTX 2070 performs like a GTX 1080.

i wrote it actually i use ryzen 7 2700x. i did not manually overclock any of them and dont planning too. i just put at auto (autooverclock). i played pubg and use 144 Hz monitor, right now at ultra setting i got 120 - 144 fps stable, but i want to make it more towards 144 min fps.

isnt RTX 2070 run better than 1080 (in between GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti)?

Just now, FallenEngineer said:

i wrote it actually i use ryzen 7 2700x. i did not manually overclock any of them and dont planning too. i just put at auto (autooverclock). i played pubg and use 144 Hz monitor, right now at ultra setting i got 120 - 144 fps stable, but i want to make it more towards 144 min fps.

You can also go to PCpartpicker and select your components. On top, it will give you the total power consumption of the system. For a usual gaming PC 100-150W power more than the total power consumption of your system is typically fine. 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

15 minutes ago, mxk. said:

. Yeah it'll probably be fine but I personally think getting 650w is good for an overclocked GPU and CPU. 

nah, 550 is fine for now here

I generally use the baseline of just adding tdp+50 watts headroom

if that comes out well, no need to change it if it's that high of quality

Video cards are allowed to take up to ~75w from the pci-e slot, and 75w or 150w from each pci-e 6pin / 8 pin connector.

So if a video card has only one pci-e 8 pin connector, in its default configuration, before you manually overclock, it's not allowed to consume more than 150w + 75w = ~ 225 watts.

For reference, nvidia cards use up to

gtx1070 : 175w,

gtx 1080 : 185w

rtx 2060 : 160w

rtx 2070 : 185w (for the reference version)

rtx 2080 : 225w

rtx 2080ti : 260w

Newer cards often use less power at the same performance level, because the chips are used with smaller transistors and components, so as a consequence they need smaller voltages and less power to operate.

In the case of RTX series, the power consumption is not less compared to GTX 1070 because they added more stuff in the chips, it's not just the same processor shrunk to save power, it's another processor with more brains in it

9 hours ago, FallenEngineer said:

No. It almost exactly like a 1080 for gaming, but not like a 1080 when you factor out ray tracing, DLSS, and work based tasks. 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra