Need help, computer keeps shutting off.

The Friendly Elite

Every time i try to turn on my computer, it shuts off after about 2-30 secs, i decided to take it apart and figure out what was wrong. after i made sure my power brick was running correctly of course. i then took a look at all of the internals, everything seems to be connecting okay so i decided to take a look at the power supply, which looked fine as well, then i took off the CPU cooler and looked at that the CPU was extremely hot so i took it out and made sure none of the pins were bent. i decided to let it cool off a bit and test it out again. after turning the computer on after about 15 seconds i put my finger to it and burned myself. the computer then shut off :( it is also important to note that the thermal paste was pretty dry. could that be the issue?

(Insert edgy teen quote here)

This definitelly sounds like a thermal problem, you should never turn on a computer without proper cooling.

However you also need to clean the cpu and re apply thermal paste or you risk burning the CPU and rendering it a dead unit.

With it overheating like that there is a possibility, however thermal paste is a lot cheaper than a new CPU so I would go ahead and try it, make sure everything gets applied and mounted correctly before turning it on.

Make sure you look up how to do anything you aren't sure about.

2 minutes ago, SilverImp34 said:

With it overheating like that there is a possibility, however thermal paste is a lot cheaper than a new CPU so I would go ahead and try it, make sure everything gets applied and mounted correctly before turning it on.

Make sure you look up how to do anything you aren't sure about.

No possibility, the reasonnn they turn off is to ensure no damage from thermals, I’ve done this lots of times (burnt myself too) and no damage whatsoever, maybe with a penguin 3 where keeping it on without a cooler would make it literally blow up. MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTORS ON THE MOTHERBOARD ARE IN NICE AND SNUG

If the thermal paste is dry then yeah, buy some paste and try again.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

• 3 weeks later...