HI everyone

Robertshipley

My dad is a disabled Army veteran and loves PC gaming, but with his income so bad these days he can't afford to keep his PC going. The one he has he built 8 years ago man he loved this PC as you all know 8 years is dino years when it comes to PC.  He has an Intel i7 980x, 12 GB of RAM, when he built it he got the GTX 480 in 2012 or 2013 he bought the first GTX Titans.  He started watching Linus before he fully left NCIX.  Im wanting to either upgrade what he has or buy him a new one.  I have no Idea how to build a PC or where to even start so any suggestions from his fav tech youtuber would be great.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong area of the forums

Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Since your dad has a 980X you could put an older Xeon in his PC. An X5650, X5690 or W3690 would all be good choices.

what video card should i get.  I hear him talk about cpu and gpu bottleneck not sure what that is though

1 hour ago, Robertshipley said:

what video card should i get.  I hear him talk about cpu and gpu bottleneck not sure what that is though

390(x)/290(x) are about on 1060 performance.

just like the 780 and 970

if you want to go brand new a rx 580 would be nice. but with that swap to a xeon on a good oc you can go up to a 2080/1080 ti