Another RTX 2080 TI (Strix,...) with coil whine - suggestions wanted

Tech Enthusiast

Hi there.

Let me just pass you a nice taste of the coil whine I am talking about.

This is at 60fps and about 35% GPU usage and i put all my case fans at full blast (100%), just for reference.

Also, case closed.

60fps in Novigrad. Enjoying the great,... "music" i guess

I can't stand this. No fucking way. When i first plugged it in my wife was screaming from two rooms away: "Woah, dude,... have you broken something over there? What are you doing?!"

And we both bought one. The one of my wife is just as bad, maybe a tiny little less annoying, but it is really hard to tell.

I am honestly a little shocked tbh. When I ordered it, basically all the reviews said it was dead silent. I did not notice ANY coil whine AT ALL in any of the 6+ Video reviews I watched.

And now, just reading this forum today, there is a topic about this as fresh as a few days ago.

Why in the hell do I spend almost 400 bucks extra on a Strix, for it to be silent, when the fans are the least of my worries. Even at full blast the GPU fans are pretty quiet and get easily overshadowed by this screaming.

So, is there a chance to get one without that coil whine?

Are there any OTHER models that have the potential fix from Buildzoid applied on their GPUs? We kinda don't feel like tinkering with 1500$ GPUs and applying stuff to it in the hopes to fix a design flaw, while voiding our warranty.

Sorry if i may sound like a rambling madman,... i really am sad as fuck. 4 months of waiting time and now we get this piece of crap delivered. Why does stuff like this never show up on any Video review? ?

You could try two things rma directly with asus or with the shop you bought them from. Depending on whichever has the better customer service. I'd not advice jerry rigging anything

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Well, what good would a RMA do me, if a new GPU does the same? I mean,.. i did not buy this card out of fun and happiness, i really do need a new GPU.

Is there a 2080ti that does not have this extremely loud whine? I never had it this bad on any GPU in the past 20 years and now Asus delivered two of those at the same time. I don't think I would want another Strix after hearing this. ?

My 1080 Ti FTW3 had hella coil whine, there's often nothing to be done sadly w/o RMAing

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

First check if you plugged in PSU cables correctly to your high wattage GPU fAV9pa1.png

If that dont help try different PSU, borrow it from friend or be a d*ck and pick one from shop and return after checking.

Usually its PSU that causing components to resonate. At least thats my experience after dealing with Vegas and looks like RTX are in same ballpark now.

The PSU is plugged in correctly.

We tried both GPUs on my Seasonic X Series and her Seasonic Platinum Plus.

Both are considered very good PSUs, so I am unsure what to "upgrade" to, or what to look out for in a PSU that can help. Do you have any specifics we can check? Or is it just straight out luck?

As far as i know its luck. I know crazies that hot gluing coils in PSU but personaly i do not recommend it if your sane and value your life.

You can make paper trumpet and make sure that its GPU that coil whines, if yes just RMA it.

Well, guess RMA it is then. 

What are the odds of getting two non whiney Strix, after getting two that do? meh.

This is really driving me nuts. 4 months of waiting,... i can only guess how long this is gonna take now. ?