Help!! Needing to upgrade file sharing network for faster upload and download.

LucasTPlays

Hi all,

My Dad runs a small business and is in need of an upgrade for his current file sharing network. He has about 12 computers than need to be hooked up to a network and be able to upload and download at high rates of speed at the same time. I would appreciate anybody willing to help explain what we will need to upgrade and have fast file transferring performance.

Requirements:

• Each computer cannot have Internet access (MANDATORY)
  • Must be cost effective, not looking for 10 gigabit speeds
  • Each computer must be able to pull files at a consistant fast speed.
  • We only need 1TB of storage, main issue is transfer speeds

Thanks,

Lucas Thomas 

Thanks,

Lucas Thomas

You'll need:

10 Gigabit NAS
10 Gigabit Switch
1 Gigabit NIC on each computer (most computers have had this since 2012)

This will give you a theoretical maximum of 833 (104MBps) Mbps per PC simultaneously and 1Gbps individual peak... assuming the storage can keep up of course.

Assuming you cheap out and only get a 1 Gigabit NAS or Switch you'll be limiting yourself to 83 Mbps (10MBps) simultaneously.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

My first question would be, what throughput are you looking for from each machine concurrently ?

For example

for 12 machines to concurrently download / upload at the same rate of say 10Mbit per second, your storage would need to have AT LEAST 1 gigabit connection (not doing the math so i might be a little off with that calculation)

Also your throughput will be bottlenecked by the type of storage, if you have 12 people all downloading different files, and a single drive, then your IO will bottleneck while it tries to pull the different pieces of data. 

There is more information required to give you a true answer. But based off this, you will definitely want to be at least 10gigabit on your NAS, meaning you will require a switch which supports at least 1 10 gigabit port

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

You'll need:

10 Gigabit NAS
10 Gigabit Switch
1 Gigabit NIC on each computer (most computers have had this since 2012)

This will give you a theoretical maximum of 833 Mbps per PC simultaneously and 1Gbps peak... assuming the storage can keep up of course.

Thanks for the reply, 

Do you know of any good 10 Gigabit nas' as we really don't want to break the bank on our networking solution.

Thanks,

Lucas Thomas

1 minute ago, LucasTPlays said:

Thanks for the reply, 

Do you know of any good 10 Gigabit nas' as we really don't want to break the bank on our networking solution.

you could just get a 10gigabit pcie card and something like a mx500...

that shouldn't break the bank

4 minutes ago, LucasTPlays said:

Thanks for the reply, 

Honestly, if you don't want to break the bank with a professional NAS. The cheapest option would probably be to build your own using an existing PC and a PCIe 10g card plus FreeNAS + an 1TB SSD.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, LucasTPlays said:

Thanks for the reply, 

You could build your own, using a few SSDS in raid, depending on your IO requirements. There are a handful of 10 Gigabit homes NAS devices that you can probably find on amazon or through google quite easily. Ive personally never used any.

You will also need a 10gigabit capable switch also which from my last searching arent cheap. so depends on your budget.

8 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Honestly, if you don't want to break the bank with a professional NAS. The cheapest option would probably be to build your own using an existing PC and a PCIe 10g card plus FreeNAS + an 1TB SSD.

My question is with a switch does it divide the 10gig connection among the gigabit ports?

Thanks,

Lucas Thomas

Just now, LucasTPlays said:

My question is with a switch does it divide the 10gig connection among the gigabit ports?

It'll split the 10gig connection between the ACTIVE ports. If there's nothing in a port it doesn't count against the bandwidth. So if you have 12 devices and they're all 1 gigabit

10,000Mbps / 12 = 833Mbps if all are active and attempting to use the maximum bandwidth possible.

Assuming every single device isn't attempting to use it's full available bandwidth, a single device can easily get the full gigabit.

It would be much appreciated if people can link 10gig Nas', switches and anything else.

Having trouble looking for good ones.

Thanks,

Lucas Thomas

Unifi US-48 has 2 10gbit ports and 48 ports for computers, 

Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+RM might also be a good choise

When it comes to NAS, either build one yourself, or go for something like maybe QNAP TS-253Be-2G with two 1TB SSD:s in raid 1(mirror) dont go mechanical, wont keep up with the network. 

Rackmounted option: QNAP TS-431XU-RP-2G