Gigabyte B350N ITX VRM overheating

Disclaimer: Cooling Issues with fairly powerful parts in the Dan case a4

Hi guys,

I've built a PC to use at work. I mainly 3D sculpt using ZBrush and use other programs such as handbrake for encoding videos and Keyshot for some renders.

It works brilliantly however I've been having issues with the VRM's over heating (120C and then thermal throttling) when rendring in keyshot for about 20 - 30 mins.

I thought I had fixed the issue when I replaced the noctua A9x14 that had been placed over the VRMs for cooling with two smaller Gelid silent 6 60mm fans however I recently rendered out an animation scene for well over an hour and the VRMS hit 120C again.

I was thinking of replacing the stock vrm cooler with:

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

or trimming this one down to size.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mst_dfi_dk.htm

The stock VRM heatsink doesn't seem terrible to me in terms of surface area though.

My system is as follows:

Dan case a4 v2

Ryzen 2700x @ 3.9 1.225v set to static voltage and clock speed

gigabyte AB350N wifi

gtx 960
corsair h60i with noctua a12x15
Corsair SF600
32gb cosair vengence 3200mhz
samsung 960pro nvme

Everything else runs fine and temperatures are under control however every now and then when I produce quick keyshot renders it would be nice to not have thermal throttling after 20 - 30 mins. 

Cheers

So I've decided to go down the route of replacing the thermal pads on the VRM heatsink to something better.

I've ordered the Gelid solutions gp extreme in hope that would increase the thernal efficiancy of the stock cooler.

I think the stock thermal pads have a conductivity of 3 W/mk and the Gelid pad is rated at 12 W/mk.

If I would've seen this earlier I would've pointed you to this:

https://www.innovationcooling.com/products/ic-graphite-thermal-pad/

almost triple what you have at 35 W/mk .. although have to be careful as its electrically conductive

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

Hi GeoSquigg,

I have already seen that product but I'm not keen on electrically conductive pads for this area on the motherboard.

I think the best pads that are not electrically conductive are the Fuji ones at 17 W/mk

I've installed the Gelid pads now and am testing keyshot animation render. So far it's peaked at 106c and now down to 104c.

It's only been going about 20mins though so I will need to leave it for a bit longer I think.

I think this mod has most likely just bought me some extra render time but the vrms will eventually hit 120c.

It's late now but I'll do further testing tomorrow.

Cheers.

You can always put a fan in. Use good double sided tape or Sugru(or something similar) to attach it to side panel. Both can easily be removed later and will leave no marks. 80mm fan is pretty much inaudible @1000rpm.

So as an update I've been running the animation render for 3+ hours and have maxed out at 107c on the vrms. Pretty damn toasty but at least it doesn't thermal throttle like before. As I very rarely do an animation render this seems ok considering the system. If I am to do a render of the work for a client it's almost always a still which doesn't get as hot.

Thinwalrus I have two 60mm fans above the vrms right now. As I said in the opening post I used to have a noctua a9x14 just for the vrms which I switch to the two smaller gelid fans for more focused air flow. It's much louder now but the vrms are under control. Luckily I don't have to deal with the sound much as my everyday workload doesn't stress the system.

So to summarise vrms we pinging to 120c when rendering in 20 to 30 mins.

I swapped the stock thermal pad to the Gelid gp extreme 0.5mm.

Rending for 3+ hours and max temp on vrms is 107c. 

Thanks for your help chaps.

C