Buying/selling from CeX

SafeStrafe

Hi I'm just wondering has anyone ever bought or sold a graphics card from CeX, the second hand electronics store?

Thanks

Current PC and Peripherals

CPU: i7 6700

CPU cooler: Cryorig H7

GPU: Evga RTX 2070

Memory: 16gb Corsair RGB

HDD: 1tb WD blue

SSD: 120gb Kingston

Headphones: Hyper x Cloud

Keyboard: Logitech g810

Mouse: Logitech g502

Monitor: Aoc 60hz

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Is its CEX in the UK??, i sold them a RX 480 and they didn't even test it, the card worked fine but it could of easily been broken. So i guess they sell all sorts of knackered stuff. and they sell for about 10% cheaper than what you can buy it for new. Personally i would not trust buying from them especially if it a expensive gpu.

55 minutes ago, marcemarc30 said:

Is its CEX in the UK??, i sold them a RX 480 and they didn't even test it, the card worked fine but it could of easily been broken. So i guess they sell all sorts of knackered stuff. and they sell for about 10% cheaper than what you can buy it for new. Personally i would not trust buying from them especially if it a expensive gpu.

Yes it is and I was thiking about selling my 1060 3gb and my old processor and getting a voucher in return and then getting a 1070 for like 190 after the voucher, the 1060 is a gigabyte version I wonder will they take it because on the website it only says nvidia? I dont know if I should do it or not though.

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Im not sure how much used 1070s are but you would be better of selling your old components on ebay, you will get more money for them but cex buy any thing, I got £75 for my rx 480, could of doubled that selling privately lol

9 minutes ago, marcemarc30 said:

Im not sure how much used 1070s are but you would be better of selling your old components on ebay, you will get more money for them but cex buy any thing, I got £75 for my rx 480, could of doubled that selling privately lol

Yeah, the only thing i fear is that I get the 1070 and it doesn't work or there is a issue with it

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

I used to work for CeX here in one of the Northern Ireland branches as an Asst Manager, our policy was to test all computer hardware, despite this being policy most stores are not equipped with sufficient test benches to test anything more than hard drives, SD storage etc, I roamed around several of our stores and it was the same issue "if it looks fine then take it in" That applied to ram and CPU's also, even some stores going as far as having computer illiterate employees  "taking the customers word" for what the item was (often ending up with buy-in orders) , I would say stay clear of them as I left them due to shady business practices and not feeling morally right screwing over people.

P.S. GL getting refunds from them, its the biggest headache of all. 

4 hours ago, Ayame2846 said:

I used to work for CeX here in one of the Northern Ireland branches as an Asst Manager, our policy was to test all computer hardware, despite this being policy most stores are not equipped with sufficient test benches to test anything more than hard drives, SD storage etc, I roamed around several of our stores and it was the same issue "if it looks fine then take it in" That applied to ram and CPU's also, even some stores going as far as having computer illiterate employees  "taking the customers word" for what the item was (often ending up with buy-in orders) , I would say stay clear of them as I left them due to shady business practices and not feeling morally right screwing over people.

P.S. GL getting refunds from them, its the biggest headache of all. 

OK thanks, I have boight a i7 off them and it works perfect maybe its just luck?

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

5 hours ago, SafeStrafe said:

OK thanks, I have boight a i7 off them and it works perfect maybe its just luck?

If ever in doubt and you are visiting an actual store then do as much pre-purchase verification as possible, ask to have a look at the item, if even the littlest of thing looks "off" then request for it to be verified in front of you, with bigger ticket items the employees will usually go that extra bit to move the item on, be wary if they state they don't have a way to test the item (this doesn't always mean it hasn't been tested as there are company stock transfers that happen weekly) but request a signed statement on the reverse of your receipt, initialled, full name and signed (pref by a manager or spv) stating that you can return the item IF the item doesn't work, when selling most hardware items they note the serial numbers to avoid swap outs. If they refuse that then just go somewhere else as getting a refund for faulty goods even if you the customer can prove there is a fault will still be a lengthy process as policy is to replace before refund which can ultimately take weeks. If i ever buy from them now its small things such as older games I can't get anywhere else.

EDIT: They accept all board partners for cards though I'd advise moving your items on via your own means as what you will be offered will be silly compared to what you can get for it privately, its the company's business model, rip off the customer and make money 

In my local CeX store they always try to test stuff out so I usually don't worry too much about buying stuff.

I would sell your 1060 on Gumtree or eBay though, since you'll (probably) be able to get better money for it.