(i7 8700k) windows has 200 series chipset installed

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

This is not an isolated case for you. Other forum users has recently reported such occurrence, even after updating to the latest driver.

The explanation is that Z370 is a retooled Z270 chipset with updated Intel Management Firmware (Z170 & Z270 use 11.7, Z370 uses 11.8, Z390 uses 12.0. Notice the minor revision between 100/200 series and Z370 and the major revision to Z390). That also explains why it did not support native USB 3.1 and was built on 22 nm rather than 14 nm.

Hello, the i7 8700k is a 300s chipset (z370) for some reason under device manager windows has the 200 series chipset installed. Is there a way I can uninstall them and then install the 300 series ones? 
CPU is working fine but it just bothers me, and it might be the cause for micro stuttering on the desktop after it comes out of sleep.
System:
- Windows 10 latest version
- i7 8700k
- Gigabyte z370 Aorus gaming 5

Capture.PNG

Huh, that's really odd.. did you clo

1 minute ago, Dino guy said:

Hello, the i7 8700k is a 300s chipset (z370) for some reason under device manager windows has the 200 series chipset installed. Is there a way I can uninstall them and then install the 300 series ones? 
CPU is working fine but it just bothers me, and it might be the cause for micro stuttering on the desktop after it comes out of sleep.
System:
- Windows 10 latest version
- i7 8700k
- Gigabyte z370 Aorus gaming 5

Capture.PNG

Huh, that's really odd... I see some Xeon stuff in there too?

Was this a fresh install of windows or did you clone it from another machine?

4 minutes ago, snowfox99 said:

Huh, that's really odd.. did you clo

Huh, that's really odd... I see some Xeon stuff in there too?

Was this a fresh install of windows or did you clone it from another machine?

I'm not sure if it's a clone or not but the windows code I got from ebay for 5 dollars (the code only goes with 1 pc/motherboard) after I upgraded from an i5 7600k 

2 minutes ago, Dino guy said:

I'm not sure if it's a clone or not but the windows code I got from ebay for 5 dollars (the code only goes with 1 pc/motherboard) after I upgraded from an i5 7600k 

its the clone having the old drivers, update them from the boards website.

This is not an isolated case for you. Other forum users has recently reported such occurrence, even after updating to the latest driver.

The explanation is that Z370 is a retooled Z270 chipset with updated Intel Management Firmware (Z170 & Z270 use 11.7, Z370 uses 11.8, Z390 uses 12.0. Notice the minor revision between 100/200 series and Z370 and the major revision to Z390). That also explains why it did not support native USB 3.1 and was built on 22 nm rather than 14 nm.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."