First PC Build - Advice?

Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,

wouldn't this be better for cad? or isn't that a priority?

for gaming this would be better

I'm looking to build my first PC that will be used for gaming and CAD (SolidWorks) but also as a workstation. My budget is around 1,000 USD (Live in US). I have a mouse & keyboard already (I'll deal with OS later - not counting it in my budget) and I'm not quite sure which monitor to buy, but I was looking at this one. I'm honestly not quite sure what framerate, resolution, and such I'll be gaming at but 1080p steady 60fps sounds reasonable. I'll be using just one monitor. As for games that I'll be playing, I'm not planning on playing the most-graphically intensive games at max graphics settings - the most intensive game I'm planning on at the moment is Xenoblade Chronicles on the Dolphin emulator using HD texture and 60FPS mods but I play other games and may expand into more common AAA titles.

I've done a bit of research and digging around on the forums and came up with this for my parts list so far: 
(link in case my formatting goes horribly wrong)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($165.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/White) CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($134.87 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card  ($359.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.15 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.80 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1046.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-29 00:54 EST-0500

I'm far from an expert with these things but my biggest questions are:
-Is the power supply overkill or is it a better safe than sorry type of thing?
-I'm not familiar with the motherboard brand - is it ok? (I found a sample build somewhere on the forum with that board and edited it a bit to suit my needs/wants) 
-Strictly speaking probably not the right place to ask but while I'm here - will the monitor I chose work for this setup?

Thanks!

Very solid build.  Power supply is overkill, you can step down to 650W if you want to. Motherboard is great, one of the best AM4 boards available right now, you will have upgrade path if you ever need more powerful CPU.

Monitor will work fine.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Very solid build.  Power supply is overkill, you can step down to 650W if you want to. Motherboard is great, one of the best AM4 boards available right now, you will have upgrade path if you ever need more powerful CPU.

Monitor will work fine.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Do you have a recommendation for which power supply to go with? Sorry I'm not as familiar with the hardware side of things.

wouldn't this be better for cad? or isn't that a priority?

for gaming this would be better

2 minutes ago, AeonicX7 said:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Do you have a recommendation for which power supply to go with? Sorry I'm not as familiar with the hardware side of things.

Pick anything from tier 1&2

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Monitor will work fine.

650? 550 or even 450 would be possible

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Pick anything from tier 1&2

3 is fine too...

I would check the one down my signature, as it lists some newer psu's that aren't listed on this one

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:
[Build suggestions and many things]

Wow, thanks for the all info and sample builds. I think I'll go with the gaming rig. Cheers everyone.

Just now, AeonicX7 said:

Wow, thanks for the all info and sample builds. I think I'll go with the gaming rig. Cheers everyone.

good choise!

FYI, you could look around for a second hand 1080 ti, but this would be fine too. the case in the upper one can be used in the lower one too

38 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I don't think OP knows the magnitude of difference between these two.

Blinded by Intel. LOL.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I don't think OP knows the magnitude of difference between these two.

Blinded by Intel. LOL.

I don't besides the obvious price difference. I'm still pretty new to the PC hardware field (My hardware experience lies in more mechanical systems rather than PCs) so I'm trying to learn. 

RX580 is two level behind RTX2070, i would get that in a heartbeat.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

RX580 is two level behind RTX2070, i would get that in a heartbeat.

Is there a notable performance difference between the two? I'd assume so due to the price difference but there could be some other factor(s).

Yes, absolutely. A rough comparison, RX580 will output 60fps vs 120fps in 2070, with everything else the same.

The cheaper 2060 is not bad, it will do 100fps.

Ah ok. I've been thinking about dropping down to a 2060 and saving the 100 bucks - I ran specs comparisons on some games and the CAD software and as far as I can tell the 2060 would serve me fine.