Help - Display not working and motherboard debug light is on

OneTwoMark

So I just built my first PC and the display fails to pick up a signal. I noticed a light on my motherboard which the user guide says is a debug which indicates that either the cpu, gpu, ram or boot drive are not detected or fail. I’m assuming this is the cause of no display. I have my usb connected with windows on so i assume it isn’t that. My gpu and ram and pushed in as far as they’ll go with pci cable connected to gpu. I’m confident I sat my cpu correctly and connected both cables (the large pin on and the 8 pin cpu connector) Although my gpu does have a light near the connection, could that be signalling an error? I’ve included pictures below. One of the whole case, one of 8 pin cpu connection and one of GPU light. 

Any help is very much appreciated. 

0F0F67D0-99D3-44E5-AA05-2509E6909991.jpeg

C15ADC16-D7F4-44F9-8FBD-6F17526BAD92.jpeg

0127080C-4D03-4E43-AD15-9D58D8EB0536.jpeg

You need two power cables connected to your GPU, but you only have one connected right now.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

13 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

You need two power cables connected to your GPU, but you only have one connected right now.

Whoops, I suppose thats what I get for watching guides that only have 1 GPU connection lol, I'll disconnect it now and retry with both! 

2 hours ago, ThatFlashCat said:

So i've connected the two power cables. The motherboard briefly flashes the debug light but then goes off, is that normal? However my display is still not working. I've tried both displayport and HDMI both getting no signal. 

6 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

So i've connected the two power cables. The motherboard briefly flashes the debug light but then goes off, is that normal? However my display is still not working. I've tried both displayport and HDMI both getting no signal. 

The video cables are connected to your gpu, right? Flashing lights during boot is normal, but I'd expect an LED to turn on after it boots to show a successful post. I just checked and my board has a solid green light on right now.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

13 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

The video cables are connected to your gpu, right? Flashing lights during boot is normal, but I'd expect an LED to turn on after it boots to show a successful post. I just checked and my board has a solid green light on right now.

Cables are connected to both gpu and psu, as is everything as as far as I can tell.  I took another picture of it on. Is there anything out of place? There are two lights above by ram slots, but my mobo user guide says that indicates extreme memory profile is enabled or something. 

220F7D08-0F73-423C-9B8E-BDA090BAD186.jpeg

2 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

Cables are connected to both gpu and psu, as is everything as as far as I can tell.  I took another picture of it on. Is there anything out of place? There are two lights above by ram slots, but my mobo user guide says that indicates extreme memory profile is enabled or something. 

Oh I meant your video cables for the monitor. Just to clarify, you have two power cables plugged into the graphics card INSIDE the case and both are connect to VGA power connections on your PSU?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

1 hour ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Oh I meant your video cables for the monitor. Just to clarify, you have two power cables plugged into the graphics card INSIDE the case and both are connect to VGA power connections on your PSU?

I figured out the problem, which really shows how much of a noob I am to this. I had my hdmi plugged into the motherboard's hdmi slot instead of the graphics cards lol. 

38 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

I figured out the problem, which really shows how much of a noob I am to this. I had my hdmi plugged into the motherboard's hdmi slot instead of the graphics cards lol. 

That's why I asked where the video cables were connected. :P I'm glad it's all working now!

Edit: I think the gpu power cables were part of the issue too, though.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs: