Can you run a pc of a usb drive?

COTG

Hello dear linus tech tips community.

Im currently in the process of building myself a new pc, and the last parts will be arriving within the next couple of days.
Im looking to purchase the samsung 970 evo plus drive for my system, but it is still not available for purchase in canada. 
Since I have a 120gb usb drive, would it be possible to run my pc just off the usb drive without any other type of storage, and if yes is there any difference in how you run/set up the pc?

I know there is some janky way to run Linux off a USB drive but I'm not sure how well it works and I'm pretty sure you can't do it with windows. Why don't you just buy another drive instead of the Samsung? It would save you a lot of headaches 

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

Just now, zombieshy_guy81 said:

I know there is some janky way to run Linux off a USB drive but I'm not sure how well it works and I'm pretty sure you can't do it with windows. Why don't you just buy another drive instead of the Samsung? It would save you a lot of headaches 

ive been running samsung drives for almost 5 years now and have had only good experiences with it, so I'd like to continue using them if possible

2 minutes ago, COTG said:

ive been running samsung drives for almost 5 years now and have had only good experiences with it, so I'd like to continue using them if possible

Is the particular drive you are looking for for sale used any where? Or maybe try a different Samsung drive? Imo just wait either until the drive you want comes out or buy a different Samsung one. Using a USB is just going to be more trouble than its worth

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

Just now, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Is the particular drive you are looking for for sale used any where? Or maybe try a different Samsung drive? Imo just wait either until the drive you w

its actually just been released last weekend, and should have gone to sale already but theres been some delays. Its retail MSRP is the same as the older version so its not really "worth it" to pick up the older versions

13 minutes ago, COTG said:

Since I have a 120gb usb drive, would it be possible to run my pc just off the usb drive without any other type of storage, and if yes is there any difference in how you run/set up the pc?

Linux, yes: just make a bootable USB-stick, boot from it, then install on the 120GB USB-drive. There isn't anything special to it. As for Windows, there are apparently some hackish ways of doing that, but I have never tried so I can't really comment on them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.