Need help for choosing budget gaming/editing pc

Eddie08
Go to solution Solved by Snuffynator,
2 minutes ago, Eddie08 said:

can the w3690 accept ecc memory? because it is much cheaper here in the philippines

According to Intel ark, yes.

https://ark.intel.com/products/52586/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3690-12M-Cache-3-46-GHz-6-40-GT-s-Intel-QPI-

My quess is, that sticks installed in the system are ECC. That was the case with mine.

Lenovo Thinkstation s20 Specs: $285.15

Processor: Intel Xeon w3690 (6cores - 6Threads) 3.46Ghz - 3.73Ghz Turbo

VideoCard: Nvidia gtx 1050 2gb

RAM: 8gb DDR3 Ram

HardDrive: 500gb

Inclusion: Dell Monitor E1913c (1440 x 900) keyboard mouse WIFI adapter

Dell Poweredge T310 Specs: $171.09

Xeon 3430 2.4ghz

16gb ram

500gb hard drive

image.png

You should buy Ryzen 5. Its cheap and very good at editing and rendering things.

I have Ryzen 5 1600 and it is good enough for gaming 

16 minutes ago, Alluz.h said:

You should buy Ryzen 5. Its cheap and very good at editing and rendering things.

I have Ryzen 5 1600 and it is good enough for gaming 

He's getting this entire system for the cost of a ryzen 5 and motherboard, doing that would like triple his costs.

to OP, the more expensive one will perform far better than the other. More CPU cores, and an entire dedicated GPU ( and a decent one)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

21 minutes ago, Eddie08 said:

Lenovo Thinkstation s20 Specs: $285.15

Processor: Intel Xeon w3690 (6cores - 6Threads) 3.46Ghz - 3.73Ghz Turbo

VideoCard: Nvidia gtx 1050 2gb

RAM: 8gb DDR3 Ram

HardDrive: 500gb

Inclusion: Dell Monitor E1913c (1440 x 900) keyboard mouse WIFI adapter

Dell Poweredge T310 Specs: $171.09

Xeon 3430 2.4ghz

16gb ram

500gb hard drive

image.png

plz buy an ssd

I suggest Lenovo Thinkstation s20. It has better CPU and a dedicated GPU, but like @ki8aras said, a cheap 240gb SSD will make everything way easier.

1 hour ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

I suggest Lenovo Thinkstation s20. It has better CPU and a dedicated GPU, but like @ki8aras said, a cheap 240gb SSD will make everything way easier.

is a 240gb ssd enough for windows 10?

11 minutes ago, Eddie08 said:

is a 240gb ssd enough for windows 10?

Sure, I have one with currently 146GB free space and I have thrown many smaller programs on it too. Use your HDD to dump bigger/less important programs/files and you should be fine.

About that CPU: unlike listing tells, it is 6core/12thread part. I have w3680 (slightly lower clocked one) on my home server. It is very capable when encoding with handbrake and it can handle on fly encoding for my Emby library when needed.

RAM might be something you may want to upgrade down the line especially if you can find cheap DDR3 used. My system was able to use different sized sticks on different channels (3x4gb + 3x2gb) without ill effect.

1 hour ago, Snuffynator said:

Sure, I have one with currently 146GB free space and I have thrown many smaller programs on it too. Use your HDD to dump bigger/less important programs/files and you should be fine.

About that CPU: unlike listing tells, it is 6core/12thread part. I have w3680 (slightly lower clocked one) on my home server. It is very capable when encoding with handbrake and it can handle on fly encoding for my Emby library when needed.

RAM might be something you may want to upgrade down the line especially if you can find cheap DDR3 used. My system was able to use different sized sticks on different channels (3x4gb + 3x2gb) without ill effect.

can the w3690 accept ecc memory? because it is much cheaper here in the philippines

2 minutes ago, Eddie08 said:

According to Intel ark, yes.

https://ark.intel.com/products/52586/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3690-12M-Cache-3-46-GHz-6-40-GT-s-Intel-QPI-

My quess is, that sticks installed in the system are ECC. That was the case with mine.

17 hours ago, Alluz.h said:

You should buy Ryzen 5

i have an i3 6100 + rx 460, do u think its worth upgrading to ryzen?