VLC black subtitles and black other text

CiBi

Hello guys,

I've recently upgraded my TV to a Samsung Q6FN 4K HDR TV. I've built an HDR 4K capable HTPC but now I'm having a particular problem with VLC.

When watching MKV 4K HDR content through VLC and using the embedded (non hardcoded) subs, they are all black, black color and black outline. VLC subtitle settings don't affect the build in subs so no help there.

I also noticed that when I change the volume in VLC its also displayed in black and not white like it normaly is.

HTPC is an Intel nuc8i3beh with 8GB of DDR4 and an Intel 660 SSD, movies are stored on an external hard drive. I'm running windows 10 pro on it with all the latest updates and all updates for the intel iGPU. I have no other issues.

I assume I could extract the subtitles from the MKV file then save those as SRT files and change subtitle settings in VLC but I'm looking for the root of the problem here.

I find no similar problems through google.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this or how I could get rid of it?

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

same here. It was fine a few days ago now it all acting up

It's time to change player to better one. I recommend PotPlayer. GOM player should be good too.

Yeah I changed to MPCHC with LAV built in and MadVR. Works now and also gives better quality. No idea what the issue with VLC was/is though and I'm still want to find out

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

44 minutes ago, CiBi said:

Yeah I changed to MPCHC with LAV built in and MadVR. Works now and also gives better quality. No idea what the issue with VLC was/is though and I'm still want to find out

VLC is not so good. It's only very popular (for unknown reason).

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

VLC is not so good. It's only very popular (for unknown reason).

I've been using VLC for a very very long time and for me it meant the end of having to bother with codecs myself (remember CCCP)

1 hour ago, CiBi said:

I've been using VLC for a very very long time and for me it meant the end of having to bother with codecs myself (remember CCCP)

The same way works most of modern players like PotPlayer or GOM. I've been using MANY players, probably more than 10, so I know that VLC is not as good as people say. It's mostly the only player people use, so best in this case means the only one. You can have many players and check for yourself which one is really the best. It's computer - you can install as many software as you want and compare it.

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

The same way works most of modern players like PotPlayer or GOM. I've been using MANY players, probably more than 10, so I know that VLC is not as good as people say. It's mostly the only player people use, so best in this case means the only one. You can have many players and check for yourself which one is really the best. It's computer - you can install as many software as you want and compare it.

No, I agree that now its maybe not the best option. But I remember like 10 years ago it was a huge improvement on the then most popular players...