HDMI switch 1440p 144Hz

TheTallGuy
Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

Those claims supporting "up to 4K@60Hz" are not "true" HDMI 2.0 switches.

4K@60Hz requires merely 12.54 Gbit/s which will not saturate the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 at 14.4 Gbit/s. 1440p@144Hz, however, requires a bandwidth of 14.08 Gbit/s, which is nearly the full capacity.

The root cause is the IC within the switches. They usually use the cheap and mass-available Texas Instrument HD3SS215 series (and its derivatives). They only partially supports HDMI 2.0 standard, since they are designed to handle 60 Hz signal at max, not 144 Hz.

A proper high-end HDMI 2.0 switch is needed for 1440p@144Hz switching. I remember seeing one at a website with a hefty price tag of near a thousand USD.

Alternatively you can try getting a validated DisplayPort 1.2 switch and use an adapter for HDMI output. Level1Tech has one that is capable of handling 1440p@144Hz.

Hello guys. Do you guys know if there is an HDMI switch that is capable of handling 1440p 144Hz? 

Thanks for the answers already :)

Full 1440p@144Hz support is possible over HDMI 2.0(b).

Any HDMI switch supporting HDMI 2.0 and above should do the trick.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

33 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Full 1440p@144Hz support is possible over HDMI 2.0(b).

Any HDMI switch supporting HDMI 2.0 and above should do the trick.

Someone I know got a HDMI 2.0 switch but that one does not work for some weird reason, can you maybe explain why. The switch supports 4k 60Hz, so you would assume that I would also support 1440p 144Hz. He got this one: https://www.amazon.com/EZCOO-HDMI-2-0-Matrix-60Hz/dp/B078YS79HZ

Those claims supporting "up to 4K@60Hz" are not "true" HDMI 2.0 switches.

4K@60Hz requires merely 12.54 Gbit/s which will not saturate the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 at 14.4 Gbit/s. 1440p@144Hz, however, requires a bandwidth of 14.08 Gbit/s, which is nearly the full capacity.

The root cause is the IC within the switches. They usually use the cheap and mass-available Texas Instrument HD3SS215 series (and its derivatives). They only partially supports HDMI 2.0 standard, since they are designed to handle 60 Hz signal at max, not 144 Hz.

A proper high-end HDMI 2.0 switch is needed for 1440p@144Hz switching. I remember seeing one at a website with a hefty price tag of near a thousand USD.

Alternatively you can try getting a validated DisplayPort 1.2 switch and use an adapter for HDMI output. Level1Tech has one that is capable of handling 1440p@144Hz.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I just ordered the Amazon - ATEN VS82H 2 Port True 4K HDMI Splitter from another website for under $75... hoping it works as I have been struggling to find a way to have 2k (1440P) on my monitor and stream to my elgato HD60 S+ (limited to 1080P). Right now I have to either stream to 4k on my monitor that makes text unreadable or stream 1080P which produces a tiny screen inside my screen. If this works I will be a little upset that I spent more for the HD60 S+ over the HD60 S in order to have the extra output, but a small price to finally be done messing with this setup.