Laptop using GPU of a Desktop?

Hey all,

so my roommate and I have been wondering if this sort of setup is possible: I want to build a computer with two GPUs in it. I would use 1 GPU for myself and "offer" the other GPU for my roommate who can access that GPU with his Laptop. Is this possible? (Planning on buying 2 1080tis or, if possible, a 1080ti and a RTX 2060)

added the layout pic to visualize our setup a bit better, hope that helps

Thanks all for your input!!!

PCProject.JPG

Why not just use Steam streaming so he can play games from your computer on his laptop? Seems easier than running cable.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Why not just use Steam streaming so he can play games from your computer on his laptop? Seems easier than running cable.

I never used it but from what I understand, he would then use my CPU and GPU to run the game on his laptop. If I want to run my own games at the same time, then I think we would run into performance issues. Thats why I thought a dedicated GPU for me and 1 for him, while we both have our own CPU would be best.

9 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

Not the way you want it.

as long as the end result is the same, im okay with doing things differently. is there a name for this sort of setup? then I can look for some online guides :D

you mean as a virtual machine?

you can do this with unraid, split the resources in 2, one system can be used by you.

And the other with a remote desktop from your friends laptop.

Dedicate each gpu for each OS.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

At that point I'd suggest just getting an external gpu enclosure, seems like I'd be simpler to set up.

but expensive

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

14 minutes ago, Allesmoeglichee said:

I never used it but from what I understand, he would then use my CPU and GPU to run the game on his laptop. If I want to run my own games at the same time, then I think we would run into performance issues. Thats why I thought a dedicated GPU for me and 1 for him, while we both have our own CPU would be best.

With a pair of 1080 Tis cranking, it's worth a shot imo. Worst case scenario, you have performance issues and can say you tries.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

What laptop? Does he have thunderbold? 

Else an external gpu is gonna get tricky (pcie m.2 mods exist but I would not recommend that if you want an elegant solution) 

Gaming over the classic remote desktop won't work properly. I only see a vm plus steam streaming as a ok gaming experience. 

But to be honest, depending on his current laptop maybe a ryzen 5 2400g or 2600/1600 + 580 plus monitor and peripherals would maybe be cheaper than a 1080ti plus enclosure and a better gaming experience