Custom eGPU

louij2

Hi has anyone built their own custom eGPU?

I am planning one that will be able to interface with a macbook/laptop and a server.

8 minutes ago, louij2 said:

Hi has anyone built their own custom eGPU?

I am planning one that will be able to interface with a macbook/laptop and a server.

Why would you need an eGPU for a server unless it's like a 1U? There are a bunch of options out there, some will hook right up to your M.2 slot, that's one that you could DIY. As far as making a custom one that works via Type C, good luck.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, louij2 said:

Something like this in theory.

20190124_125700.png

That would introduce a ton of latency and bandwidth issues, going through an adapter. Plus that won't work, that's only USB 3.0 not thunderbolt. I could be wrong but it would need to be thunderbolt to send/receive graphical data.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

4 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

That would introduce a ton of latency and bandwidth issues, going through an adapter. Plus that won't work, that's only USB 3.0 not thunderbolt. I could be wrong but it would need to be thunderbolt to send/receive graphical data.

I can swap the riser to a thunderbolt 3 riser easy. Then the issue is thunderbolt to pcie?!?!?

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, louij2 said:

I can swap the riser to a thunderbolt 3 riser easy. Then the issue is thunderbolt to pcie?!?!?

You're better off with one of those PCIe slots made so that laptops can run an E GPU of an NVME m.2 slot. Get a type C to NVME M.2 dongle, hook up the PCIe slot to the dongle and you ought to be good to go.

The Louvre

17 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

You're better off with one of those PCIe slots made so that laptops can run an E GPU of an NVME m.2 slot. Get a type C to NVME M.2 dongle, hook up the PCIe slot to the dongle and you ought to be good to go.

Actually this riser possibly has everything that I need?

s-l1600.jpg

Would this idea work with my server? With a NVME to PCIE x1 adapter in the server.

Project 2 - Drawing 12550277048401453186.png

33 minutes ago, louij2 said:

Would this idea work with my server? With a NVME to PCIE x1 adapter in the server.

Project 2 - Drawing 12550277048401453186.png

Interesting that you found that, you may be interested in watching Linus do it here.

TLDR: Latency/Low bandwidth mean you're gonna lose a lot of performance but it'll work.

Just make sure you're not using laptop-sized PCI-E connectors, there's a difference between Laptop 1x/4x and Desktop 1x/4x

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.