Running a CPU entirely passive

the pokemon kid

Hi All,

I am putting together a PFSense router together. I have got a Intel 4130t which I am using as the processor. This processor has a thermal disopation of just 35w!

The whole system is going into a 1u server case which will eventually be rack mounted along with my NAS. This rack will be on the other side of the room in my office.

I bought one of these 1u turbine style fans to go into the system and it is kicking out a lot of noise! So I would like to find out if I could buy a Noctua L-9i cooler, take the fan off and run it entirely passive. When I mean entirely passive I mean; no fans in the system at all. I wouldn't be able to fit the fan on the Noctua as the case is just too short to support it.

The system at no stage will be under any load as it will be running as a PFSense router on a small network.

I wouldn't do that in a 1U.

In a real tower and some Noctua NH-D15 I wouldn't see an issue but not like that on something that has to run reliably 24/7

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I doubt anything that would fit in a 1U rack could passively cool even a 35W CPU. Even if you aren't putting it under load, it will put itself under load for updates, etc., and that will throttle and/or BSOD it.

If entirely passive is your thing, consider an all-in-one ITX board with something like an Atom, mobile Celeron or Pentium-J. Those sub-10W CPUs would be fine, though I'm not sure how they'd do on ability to run your server.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Probably advise against it, however if you want to test it out post your results.

without airflow through the system I doubt it would be ok, so I'm not sure if you mean just no fan on the cooler it self or no fans in the case entirely.

I found something called Dynatron K129. It's a 1u formfactor and according to the manufacturer it is rated for 95W TDP but I don't know if it relies on case airflow or not.

Nvm it relies on case airflow from server fans

you need some sort of airflow for passive heatsink, or it will just warm the air surround it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

if you can disable hyper threading, and get decent airflow through the case you might be fine. Passive cooling doesn't work in small spaces without natural circulation. even if its not producing much heat it will end up creeping into unsafe levels without air. intel's TDP isn't really trustworthy anyway.

Actually, Noctua has some 1U fans. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5U14594&Description=1u fan&cm_re=1u_fan-_-1YF-000T-00093-_-Product

FWIW I had a plain 4130 that would undervolt by more than 200mV @2.7GHz and run CBR15 at that with less than 7W. IOW you can cut down the power if you put a little work into it.

AWOL

Just as an update, I decided to get a really small CPU cooler from Silverstone. Its one that they market as a upgrade to the stock Intel cooler. However it is running whisper silent now. The only thing that is actually making noise in the whole machine is now the power supplies fan...