Am I forever screwed from being happy with a monitor? Am i too picky?

pnsbn

Hey guys so I built my first gaming pc back in october and didnt have a monitor so without doing extensive research I bought a asus vg245h. Its ok, it has the worst viewing angles ive ever seen and text isnt the greatest, but I still managed to use it for 2 or so months. Around xmas I started thinking I should get a 144hz monitor since i am mainly playing black ops 4 and i get 90-140 fps on average.

So I found a cheap Dell S2419HGF. Its a TN panel, but it looked a million times better than the asus, i swear it could almost be an IPS. Only issue was that it had awful ghosting on the 1ms and 5ms response time settings, and only went away on 8ms. I decided that was too much lag for the year 2019 and returned it.

After this I went to the drawing board and the only other 144hz I could come up with within my price range is the AOC C24G1. Not bad looking, and plays BO4 really well. Heres my issue: Im not sure if im imagining it, but on white background webpages (basically all webpages, i dont like dark mode) it seems the top 60% of the screen looks how it should (a nice clear white) while the bottom 40% will have a yellow tint to it. I've noticed it on grey backgrounds even. Its almost kind of like part of the monitor is set to "cool" and the other is set to "warm" .This is regardless of the OSD settings, and even though its slight it is enough to annoy me to be here typing this out now. Now that I think about it, I believe my asus had the same issue, but its a crappy TN so I didn't expect much from it, though I expected better of a VA. Im not sure if this is actually a defect or if all C24G1s have this and I’m just way too picky or OCD about it, idk. So now I feel like returning it again! And I always feel like an asshole returning things because I don’t like it, even though I know I probably shouldn’t feel that way.

Now I’m coming to my wits end but I’m wondering another thing. Before my gaming Pc I had a laptop that I used almost every day. Even today I can use that laptop and have no issue web browsing on that screen. I’m guessing the laptop screen is an IPS panel. Could I be so picky because I’m actually used to an IPS panel after using this laptop for the last 5 years? I really wish 24” IPS 144hz existed but it doesnt (at least not yet).

So does anyone have any advice or guidance on what to do? Does the C24G1 sound defective to anyone or is that a common issue? I wouldn’t mind trying an exchange but I’d have to facilitate it online. Do i just need to stop being picky, and if so how??? Lol.

Bonus: Are there any 24” IPS that can overclock above 76hz?

You will ALWAYS have to deal negative issue with an LCD screen. There simply isnt a LCD panel type that combats all the drawbacks witout bringing a new one to bare.

TN are fast and reduce ghosting , but look like crap.

IPS are accurate and have great viewing angles but glow

VA have high contrast and better blacks, but have poor viewing angles and slow pixel response.

All LCD types can and do suffer from some amount of Back Light Bleed, Uniformity issues, and cant produce Black.

Long story short, decide what issue u CAN deal with, and go for that.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

You will ALWAYS have to deal negative issue with an LCD screen. There simply isnt a LCD panel type that combats all the drawbacks witout bringing a new one to bare.

TN are fast and reduce ghosting , but look like crap.

IPS are accurate and have great viewing angles but glow

VA have high contrast and better blacks, but have poor viewing angles and slow pixel response.

All LCD types can and do suffer from some amount of Back Light Bleed, Uniformity issues, and cant produce Black.

Long story short, decide what issue u CAN deal with, and go for that.

If I exchange the monitor, do you think there is a decent chance I get one that displays white as white throughout? ive been looking at reviews and seen nobody mention this issue

2 minutes ago, pnsbn said:

If I exchange the monitor, do you think there is a decent chance I get one that displays white as white throughout? ive been looking at reviews and seen nobody mention this issue

Uniformity issues are on a per panel basis, just like BLB, so yes its possible to get a better one, but no garantee.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

27 minutes ago, pnsbn said:

Hey guys so I built my first gaming pc back in october and didnt have a monitor so without doing extensive research I bought a asus vg245h. Its ok, it has the worst viewing angles ive ever seen and text isnt the greatest, but I still managed to use it for 2 or so months. Around xmas I started thinking I should get a 144hz monitor since i am mainly playing black ops 4 and i get 90-140 fps on average.

So I found a cheap Dell S2419HGF. Its a TN panel, but it looked a million times better than the asus, i swear it could almost be an IPS. Only issue was that it had awful ghosting on the 1ms and 5ms response time settings, and only went away on 8ms. I decided that was too much lag for the year 2019 and returned it.

After this I went to the drawing board and the only other 144hz I could come up with within my price range is the AOC C24G1. Not bad looking, and plays BO4 really well. Heres my issue: Im not sure if im imagining it, but on white background webpages (basically all webpages, i dont like dark mode) it seems the top 60% of the screen looks how it should (a nice clear white) while the bottom 40% will have a yellow tint to it. I've noticed it on grey backgrounds even. Its almost kind of like part of the monitor is set to "cool" and the other is set to "warm" .This is regardless of the OSD settings, and even though its slight it is enough to annoy me to be here typing this out now. Now that I think about it, I believe my asus had the same issue, but its a crappy TN so I didn't expect much from it, though I expected better of a VA. Im not sure if this is actually a defect or if all C24G1s have this and I’m just way too picky or OCD about it, idk. So now I feel like returning it again! And I always feel like an asshole returning things because I don’t like it, even though I know I probably shouldn’t feel that way.

Now I’m coming to my wits end but I’m wondering another thing. Before my gaming Pc I had a laptop that I used almost every day. Even today I can use that laptop and have no issue web browsing on that screen. I’m guessing the laptop screen is an IPS panel. Could I be so picky because I’m actually used to an IPS panel after using this laptop for the last 5 years? I really wish 24” IPS 144hz existed but it doesnt (at least not yet).

So does anyone have any advice or guidance on what to do? Does the C24G1 sound defective to anyone or is that a common issue? I wouldn’t mind trying an exchange but I’d have to facilitate it online. Do i just need to stop being picky, and if so how??? Lol.

Bonus: Are there any 24” IPS that can overclock above 76hz?

@pnsbn they have a 27 inch IPS 144hz 1080p its the Asus VG279Q  just released in november I just picked it up and its an amazing monitor. upgraded from a 1440p BenQ panel no regrets its awesome!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

9 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Uniformity issues are on a per panel basis, just like BLB, so yes its possible to get a better one, but no garantee.

I hooked up my old asus and looking at it now it did have a similar issue, except the top 70% is yellow with the bottom 30% white. maybe the c24g1 isnt so bad but i am noticing it more because i am used to seeing yellow on the top and white on the bottom instead of the other way around. Im thinking maybe it could be useful to buy bestbuys special warranty and then if the yellow keeps bothering me after the return date is up, i can take it up with them and try to get an exchange later? not sure if that would work though