PC not booting! need help

cluelessgenius

hey guys,

so im running diagnostics for a buddy of mine so to speak and thought id brain storm with you guys

so one night everythings fine he turns the system off the next day it ont boot.

when he unplugs the power cord and plugs it back in theres a short light up then nothing

im not 100 % sure of his specs anymore it has been some years since i built it for him but heres what i do remember

i7 4790

Asus 970

evga psu

nzxt 340

samsung ssd

cant remember more than that

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Does anything spin up? Any lights? 

Have you tried shorting the power button contacts on the board? 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Does anything spin up? Any lights? 

Have you tried shorting the power button contacts on the board? 

will ask about fans spinning up.

dont really trust him to short the power pins not gonna ask him to do that. you think it5s just the button? never heard of any issues with that

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

16 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

will ask about fans spinning up.

dont really trust him to short the power pins not gonna ask him to do that. you think it5s just the button? never heard of any issues with that

I always start with the ridiculously easy things first, I've seen the cables on the back of the connector come off and cause a lot of un-needed troubleshooting ;) If nothing happens when he presses the power button and everything is properly plugged in, it is likely the power supply, might swap it with a known good one and try again. 

If you have fans/lights spin up it gets more complicated and would need a bit more info but we can get there ?

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

4 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I always start with the ridiculously easy things first, I've seen the cables on the back of the connector come off and cause a lot of un-needed troubleshooting ;) If nothing happens when he presses the power button and everything is properly plugged in, it is likely the power supply, might swap it with a known good one and try again. 

If you have fans/lights spin up it gets more complicated and would need a bit more info but we can get there ?

nothing spins up no reaction what so ever

8 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

nothing spins up no reaction what so ever

Have him make sure ALL the plugins are properly plugged in. If the PC was working before and hasn't been moved this is likely not the issue. I'd say its the PSU. If it was the CPU or really anything else you'd likely get some sort of response from the PC. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:58 PM, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Have him make sure ALL the plugins are properly plugged in. If the PC was working before and hasn't been moved this is likely not the issue. I'd say its the PSU. If it was the CPU or really anything else you'd likely get some sort of response from the PC. 

shit i recommended him that psu

any idea for a basic psu as a replacement maybe even somthing older but solid i could get used ? trying to keep damage low here

On 1/17/2019 at 1:01 PM, cluelessgenius said:

shit i recommended him that psu

any idea for a basic psu as a replacement maybe even somthing older but solid i could get used ? trying to keep damage low here

EVGA makes good psu's, I've used them a ton. I don't know what others are using these days but I have corsair in all my machines without issue. 

The Evga might still have warranty on it if you confirm it's bad. Even if you don't have a receipt or anything they'll probably still work with you on it. 

Sorry for the delayed response 

14 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

EVGA makes good psu's, I've used them a ton. I don't know what others are using these days but I have corsair in all my machines without issue. 

The Evga might still have warranty on it if you confirm it's bad. Even if you don't have a receipt or anything they'll probably still work with you on it. 

Sorry for the delayed response 

great idea ill have him check the date of purchase and what exact modell. if my psu tester confirms its the psu then warranty really might be the best solution thanks

16 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

just talked to him he has the EVGA NEX750G. 

so 10 year warranty

if its actually the psu's fault that should cover it

thanks again