What GTX780 Should I Get?

Go to solution Solved by nphxboxlive,

Thanks for all the feedback guys, Going to get the ASUS CUII Card, Can't wait for it to get here now though lol :D

Get the prettiest one.

No really, get the prettiest one, they all perform really similarly. If you really want to minmax it go have a look here http://www.overclock.net/t/1408773/list-of-gtx-780s

That has a really good overview with links to full articles.

Thanks for that link, Spent a while looking over it at all the diffrent cards and it was quite intresting.

Hey guys, Title says it really. Looking to get a GTX780 and I'm stuck between what one to get. The main ones I'm looking at are the ASUS DirectCU II version & The Gigabyte WindForce version.

Both are about the same price, The gigabyte is the cheaper card of the two currently:

Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD REV2.0  (£379.99 @ Novatech)

Asus GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5  (£394.98 @ Ebuyer)

But the main thing I want to know is what one will perform better, Run quieter, Stay cooler & Is best value?

I found this video and it seems that the Gigabyte card performs better than the ASUS one in temps (only just) & boost clock, But I can't find a noise comparison on what card runs quieter than the other one.

So does anybody know what card is likley to be the better option of the two and what will run quieter? Or is there another model of GTX780 that I should also concider?

I will most likley be ordering the card I choose later on today, Thanks for the help.

Known As BlackOpsKillerCams / nphxboxlive - I Make Random Gaming YouTube Videos & LiveStream To My Twitch Channel For Fun.

I'm Not A "Xbox Fanboy", Just Couldn't Think Of A Gamertag When I Made This One Up (It's My Initials + XBL) :P PC Gaming FTW :D

The DCU II is a bit quieter.

There really isn't much of a difference between aftermarket 780's in general.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get the prettiest one.

No really, get the prettiest one, they all perform really similarly. If you really want to minmax it go have a look here http://www.overclock.net/t/1408773/list-of-gtx-780s

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Really up to you. One might only perform a few degrees colder then the other and also since most graphics card aren't 100% the same it's very unlikely to get a card which is always colder then to other. I myself would go for the cheapest one depending on the price unless it's only like £10 more or so and looks better.

Price: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce X3

Balance: MSi GTX 780 Lightning

Performance: EVGA GTX 780 Classified (dunno if they're all gone yet or not) - Could go for 780 ACX if you wanted but it's overpriced for what it is. I'd choose Gigabyte's over it any day.

Gigabyte gives the best price:performance overall, but isn't exactly #1 in temp/noise.

MSi GTX 780 Lightning is just a good card for it's price. I don't think it's fully unlocked, but I'm sure it overclocks better than any other card barring..

The GTX 780 Classified. #1 780 of all because it is unlocked. You can achieve higher frequencies at around the same temps, and it should be quieter or at least cooler at the same speeds as the former cards. I could be very wrong, as I have not seen a review of any of the 3. I'm basing this entirely on 780ti Classy reviews, Rev2.0 WFX3 coolers on other GTX 700-series cards and some of the feedback on the 780 Lightning.

This should be an accurate assessment anyway, for the most part. I will say that I wouldn't get the 780 Lightning because MSi came out with a new Lightning cooler for the 290X at CES, and I'm excited to see it on NVidia cards. Because of that, I feel like this one is lacking so I'd swing for a cheap aftermarket cooler or all-out on a Classified if you can afford it. Gigabyte gives a great value for their cards, but the Classy is, well,.. Classy. And beast (for an NVidia card).

Thanks for all the feedback guys, Going to get the ASUS CUII Card, Can't wait for it to get here now though lol :D

Get the prettiest one.

Thanks for that link, Spent a while looking over it at all the diffrent cards and it was quite intresting.

Known As BlackOpsKillerCams / nphxboxlive - I Make Random Gaming YouTube Videos & LiveStream To My Twitch Channel For Fun.

I'm Not A "Xbox Fanboy", Just Couldn't Think Of A Gamertag When I Made This One Up (It's My Initials + XBL) :P PC Gaming FTW :D

nphxboxlive, on 14 Jan 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Overclock.net is a great site and forum. Really, LTT + OCN + Anandforums = Best trio ever. Can't go wrong.

Edit: I didn't include Asus because I hate Asus. More of an opinion than something factual.

Edit2: Your initials are NPH.

The NPH uses LinusTechTips forum..

Overclock.net is a great site and forum. Really, LTT + OCN + Anandforums = Best trio ever. Can't go wrong.

Edit: I didn't include Asus because I hate Asus. More of an opinion than something factual.

Yeah agreed,

Just out of intrest how come you hate asus?

Have fun with that beasty, making my 680 look whimpy :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Yeah agreed,

Just out of intrest how come you hate asus?

RMA issues sometimes, ugly products (as well as everything kind of looking the same thanks to ROG branding), and I feel they're overrated for what they are. They're given unneeded superiority when it comes to video cards when I feel they shine mostly in monitors and maybe motherboards.

Edit: They still make fantastic products, I just think they're not nearly as good as everyone makes them out to be when comparing to their competition.

Price: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce X3

Balance: MSi GTX 780 Lightning

Performance: EVGA GTX 780 Classified (dunno if they're all gone yet or not) - Could go for 780 ACX if you wanted but it's overpriced for what it is. I'd choose Gigabyte's over it any day.

Gigabyte gives the best price:performance overall, but isn't exactly #1 in temp/noise.

MSi GTX 780 Lightning is just a good card for it's price. I don't think it's fully unlocked, but I'm sure it overclocks better than any other card barring..

The GTX 780 Classified. #1 780 of all because it is unlocked. You can achieve higher frequencies at around the same temps, and it should be quieter or at least cooler at the same speeds as the former cards. I could be very wrong, as I have not seen a review of any of the 3. I'm basing this entirely on 780ti Classy reviews, Rev2.0 WFX3 coolers on other GTX 700-series cards and some of the feedback on the 780 Lightning.

This should be an accurate assessment anyway, for the most part. I will say that I wouldn't get the 780 Lightning because MSi came out with a new Lightning cooler for the 290X at CES, and I'm excited to see it on NVidia cards. Because of that, I feel like this one is lacking so I'd swing for a cheap aftermarket cooler or all-out on a Classified if you can afford it. Gigabyte gives a great value for their cards, but the Classy is, well,.. Classy. And beast (for an NVidia card).

Lightning is still limited like everything else by nVidia's power limit, bios flashing is the only resolve. Otherwise it OC's like everything else basically.

S1lentThund3r, on 14 Jan 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Lightning is still limited like everything else by nVidia's power limit, bios flashing is the only resolve. Otherwise it OC's like everything else basically.

I thought they added that little doohicky to the backplate that helped with voltages? Just asking as I'm not really sure.

Have fun with that beasty, making my 680 look whimpy :P

Yeah I'm half way through an upgrade at the moment lol, I'm currently running a 3930K, But have a old 8600GT in there because I sold my previous parts before I had all the money for my new GPU, The money I got from them is going into my graphics card now lol.

Yeah I'm half way through an upgrade at the moment lol, I'm currently running a 3930K, But have a old 8600GT in there because I sold my previous parts before I had all the money for my new GPU, The money I got from them is going into my graphics card now lol.

Lemme tell you, I had a very similar upgrade coming from an old mobile GPU to a full 680. It is magical. No more worries about being able to run stuff, and it's all so SHINY :3

Edit2: Your initials are NPH.

The NPH uses LinusTechTips forum..

Sorry but reading back over this, I didnt notice this edit before. But what do you mean by this? lol

NVM

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

I thought they added that little doohicky to the backplate that helped with voltages? Just asking as I'm not really sure.

They did. Then nVidia shafted the entire aftermarket community by forcing a change in bios that made it useless without a different bios.

I saw that you decided on the DCII which is a very strong card but if I were choosing among the regular 780's I'd have to go for the EVGA Classy myself.  There is simply no more powerful a regular 780 made and with the voltage control (and if you can find an EVbot somewhere) you'll be challenging Titans and 780Ti's...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I saw that you decided on the DCII which is a very strong card but if I were choosing among the regular 780's I'd have to go for the EVGA Classy myself.  There is simply no more powerful a regular 780 made and with the voltage control (and if you can find an EVbot somewhere) you'll be challenging Titans and 780Ti's...

I just have to say that I love your rig :')

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

I just have to say that I love your rig :')

Well I just have to say thank you very much!  :D

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

• 2 weeks later...

If you are wanting to step it up a notch, you might want to consider buying the msi lightning 780