optiplex 790 and beyond

Hello guys,

I am really new to building a PC, so sry if I ask too many questions.

I want to play games (mainly CS:GO) and all I need is a decent fps around 150 to play the game smoothly on low settings.

I saw a used OptiPlex 790 (Desktop size) Core i5-2400/8GB DDR3/500GB HDD with a Dell Full HD 22'' monitor for 250 CAD.

So I taught it would be great if I could get a decent GPU and also replace the PSU to get good performance. But the problem is that according to the PCs specs:

• 1 half height PCIe x16
  • 1 half height PCIe x16 (wired x 4) <-- whatever this means
  • 1 half height PCIe x1
  • 1 half height PCI

It has Half-Height PCIe slots.

Do you think if this is going to be a problem in the future? Because I am planning to upgrade more way into the future (when I get like less than 40 FPS with current one : )

Do you think I can even do something like this and get decent performance and does it even make sense? And if yes, do you have any low profile GPU that could be good?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. All the way I assumed that the CPU and RAM are going to be good enough.

PS2. My maximum budget is around 500 CAD and I also need a monitor.

5 hours ago, New_Newbi said:

Hello guys,

I am really new to building a PC, so sry if I ask too many questions.

I want to play games (mainly CS:GO) and all I need is a decent fps around 150 to play the game smoothly on low settings.

I saw a used OptiPlex 790 (Desktop size) Core i5-2400/8GB DDR3/500GB HDD with a Dell Full HD 22'' monitor for 250 CAD.

So I taught it would be great if I could get a decent GPU and also replace the PSU to get good performance. But the problem is that according to the PCs specs:

• 1 half height PCIe x16
  • 1 half height PCIe x16 (wired x 4) <-- whatever this means
  • 1 half height PCIe x1
  • 1 half height PCI

It has Half-Height PCIe slots.

Do you think if this is going to be a problem in the future? Because I am planning to upgrade more way into the future (when I get like less than 40 FPS with current one : )

Do you think I can even do something like this and get decent performance and does it even make sense? And if yes, do you have any low profile GPU that could be good?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. All the way I assumed that the CPU and RAM are going to be good enough.

PS2. My maximum budget is around 500 CAD and I also need a monitor.

Here's you monitor!

If you wanna be competitive I'd recommend to get the monitor I linked you to and try to negotiate with the sellar to getting the pc it self then buy a used GTX 750 ti and your set! 

Or you could just get the pc with monitor and buy a used GTX 750 ti instead. The monitor isn't a very large necessity. 

You'll have to get a half height 750 though... which are a little hard to find cheap.

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

(deleted)

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

(deleted)

12 minutes ago, name1 said:

Here's you monitor!

If you wanna be competitive I'd recommend to get the monitor I linked you to and try to negotiate with the sellar to getting the pc it self then buy a used GTX 750 ti and your set! 

Or you could just get the pc with monitor and buy a used GTX 750 ti instead. The monitor isn't a very large necessity. 

You'll have to get a half height 750 though... which are a little hard to find cheap.

If you've got the budget you can buy a low profile 1050 ti https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6NI5X6/ref=dp_prsubs_2?th=1

12 hours ago, name1 said:

Here's you monitor!

I wish I had the budget to buy this monitor :(

Do you think is it a mistake to get a half-height case? Is it going to be a problem in the future? (in case of upgradeability)

9 hours ago, New_Newbi said:

I wish I had the budget to buy this monitor :(

Do you think is it a mistake to get a half-height case? Is it going to be a problem in the future? (in case of upgradeability)

Yes, it's much better to buy a full height case. You can find better deals on full height cards as their more popular.