Can thermal paste on a pcie slot cause resets?

Johnprogamez

Hi, i upgraded my old build and i realised i dripped thermal paste on the pcie slot , when i first built my system. I went to change my 1060 with a 1080 but it keeps on reseting, when playing games. Not the cpu over heating, 50degrees while playing, and not the psu, since its a new one, and not the graphics card, since it is new. Could the themal paste on the slot be causing resets?

yah that can cause all sorts of problems, clean it off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Johnprogamez said:

Hi, i upgraded my old build and i realised i dripped thermal paste on the pcie slot , when i first built my system. I went to change my 1060 with a 1080 but it keeps on reseting, when playing games. Not the cpu over heating, 50degrees while playing, and not the psu, since its a new one, and not the graphics card, since it is new. Could the themal paste on the slot be causing resets?

What do you mean resetting? like the PC restarting?

I did the same mistake on the RAM DIMM slot, I cleaned it by dipping a tooth brush into 80% alcohol then brushed the mess, let it dry and install all the components, and I got no problems till now.

I had other problem and it was an unexpecting miss-suspected issue. It was a Displayport cable affecting the motherboard to turn the CPU debug LED on, and unable to boot with intermittent power blinks.

I suspected that my PSU or the CPU are the ones which might fail, but after the long tries and never give up curiousity to search the real suspect, I ended up found that my Displayport cable is the root cause of my PC problem, you might see this as nonsense, because why on earth a DP cable can caused a system not to boot? But it was real and happened to me.

After I ditched that crappy DP cable and use my previous slightly damaged DP cable and also tried to use the DVI cable instead the problem is gone and I never see it come back again till now.. This is one of a strange PC problem. I was about to RMA my PSU though, but luckily I sorted it out before it happen..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Anything that gets stuck in a slot/socket could cause resets.Some thermal pastes can be electrically conductive as well which for sure would cause resets/shut offs. Clean out the slot and it should fix the issue.

6 minutes ago, Astarore said:

Anything that gets stuck in a slot/socket could cause resets.Some thermal pastes can be electrically conductive as well which for sure would cause resets/shut offs. Clean out the slot and it should fix the issue.

My arctic mx-4 is non conductive

52 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I did the same mistake on the RAM DIMM slot, I cleaned it by dipping a tooth brush into 80% alcohol then brushed the mess, let it dry and install all the components, and I got no problems till now.

I had other problem and it was an unexpecting miss-suspected issue. It was a Displayport cable affecting the motherboard to turn the CPU debug LED on, and unable to boot with intermittent power blinks.

I suspected that my PSU or the CPU are the ones which might fail, but after the long tries and never give up curiousity to search the real suspect, I ended up found that my Displayport cable is the root cause of my PC problem, you might see this as nonsense, because why on earth a DP cable can caused a system not to boot? But it was real and happened to me.

After I ditched that crappy DP cable and use my previous slightly damaged DP cable and also tried to use the DVI cable instead the problem is gone and I never see it come back again till now.. This is one of a strange PC problem. I was about to RMA my PSU though, but luckily I sorted it out before it happen..

Ill try it!