I need help with what I assume is a software issue with my new build!

Salicyl

So I have recently completed my first ever build (God I was shitscared pressing that power button for the first time, but it sprung to life without an issue)

I have this PC since roughly a week now and its working quite well... APART from it completely locking up from time to time and getting these weird multicolored-light flashes in games. I have pretty much ruled out that temperature could be a problem, it happens with or without the side panel on and the CPU under its cooling is running at max at 50°C. I have also assumed that its some sort of driver issue but my GPU drivers are apparently up to date... any other Ideas why this could be happening? I had that issue in the past when I first upgraded from my old GTX680 to a GTX970 but that was resolved with a simple Driver update.

BTW the specs are:

UPDATE: 

I had a chat with the NVIDIA support and they think its a faulty card and I have to send it back... luckily I still have my old PC here and have the GTX970 plugged into this PC right now and its working at least... thanks for all the tipps and recommendations. I really did appreciate the help!

First build first faulty part FeelsGoodMan ?

Try reseating the video card, Ive had similar issues in the past where that helped.

35 minutes ago, Salicyl said:

I have this PC since roughly a week now and its working quite well... APART from it completely locking up from time to time and getting these weird multicolored-light flashes in games.

Sounds to be GPU related. Was it a fresh install of Windows or did you move the OS drive from the old computer over? Try running DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and then reinstalling the latest display drivers from the Nvidia website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

So, I dont think its a monitor issue as I have used this same config with my previous build, unless somehow that monitor is for some reason not compatible with the 2080,

I did try running DDU like suggested and reinstalled the new Drivers but to no avail, Games still have these light flashes, tend to crash and the PC in general still tends to lock up at seemingly random intervals until restarted.

And what do you mean about reseating the card? Do you mean switching the slot on the Motherboard or did you do a typo and meant resetting?

Oh and it was a fresh Windows install

1 hour ago, Salicyl said:

And what do you mean about reseating the card? Do you mean switching the slot on the Motherboard or did you do a typo and meant resetting?

Pull it out of the slot it is in and push it back in to the same slot.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

40 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Pull it out of the slot it is in and push it back in to the same slot.

Allright, I tried that but to no avail... I had a chat with the NVIDIA support and they think its a faulty card and I have to send it back... luckily I still have my old PC here and have the GTX970 plugged into this PC right now and its working at least... thanks for all the tipps.

First build first faulty part FeelsGoodMan ?