Help Overclocking

Currently, I am trying to overclock my Ryzen 5 2600 to 4 GHz (or more)?. I've gotten it to 3.9GHz, but any faster than that, it will lock-up and I have to reset. I've tried increasing the voltage to 1.35V but it still crashes. I am stress testing it with AIDA-64 but the max temperature is 41-42C (Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it be getting into the 60s-70s?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

silicon lottery? you arent guaranteed oc above 4ghz

I figured that. I was just hoping that maybe I was doing something wrong and it wasn't the processor itself.

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

What is the reported voltage under load in CPU-Z or HWMonitor? A 2600 should hit 4.0Ghz pretty easily, so you may not be on the correct LLC setting.

14 minutes ago, badreg said:

What is the reported voltage under load in CPU-Z or HWMonitor? A 2600 should hit 4.0Ghz pretty easily, so you may not be on the correct LLC setting.

In HWMonitor, it says the CPU VCore is 1.155V.

Edit: Considering I have a dual-fan cooler and 650W power supply, I thought it should hit 4.0 Ghz also.

3 minutes ago, jakep0802 said:

In HWMonitor, it says the CPU VCore is 1.155V.

Well, there's your problem. That's nowhere near 1.35V. Dial up the LLC setting until there is no drop between the idle voltage and load voltage.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Well, there's your problem. That's nowhere near 1.35V. Dial up the LLC setting until there is no drop between the idle voltage and load voltage.

I had put the voltage to 1.35V but that did nothing so I put it back to Auto. Also, this is my first time overclocking. What is "LLC"?

When under load, the voltage supplied to your CPU drops. LLC compensates for this but can lead to spikes if set too high. You'll want to slowly increase LLC levels until VCore doesn't drop significantly or better not at all. Have an eye on max VCore values though and make sure it doesn't spike too high. The mainboard's voltage regulation can only react to your CPU's needs. That means there will always be fluctuations. The mainboard reacty by increasing the voltage a bit to compensate for the drop. That's load line calibration (LLC). If set to high the mainboard might increase the voltage too much which can lead to early degradation or instant damages. That's why you have to have an eye on VCore when testing your overclock to make sure LLC isn't set too high and VCore isn't spiking too much. So don't just set LLC to the highest level.

You'll most likely be able to drop VCore after adjusting LLC levels. I have the ROG Strix B450-I so UEFI should be similar. You can also adjust VRM frequencies for less ripple and a more stable voltage supply. I'd do CPU OC before memory OC (that includes DOCP memory profiles). You might need to adjust SoC voltages later on once you've hit your target clock speed. You should increase the current limit in BIOS so your CPU can consume more power. Be aware that this will drastically increase thermals though your CPU will significantly benefit from it. My 2700's package power hunger will jump from around 80W to a maximum of 160-ish W. You really need good cooling and enough airflow for CPU and VRMs. 

Don't expect anything beyond 4.1-4.2 on all cores even with good cooling. It's probably wise to sacrifice 50-100MHz for higher memory speeds. You can also try memory speeds beyond the rated speed, you might need to push memory voltage beyond 1.35V a bit. 

You should stay below 1.4V for VCore, 1.2V for SoC voltages and 1.5V for memory. Once you reach a point at which you need to significantly adjust any voltage compared to the previous step you've probably approaching max oc on your chip. Only increase one value at a time in small increments (like 0.005V or the multiplicator at .5 steps). If you change more than one value you'll never know what made a difference. I'd go with Cinebench for an initial test to a) see if it made a difference and b) test very basic stability, after that I'd go with Prime95 and a 15min run. If it hasn't crashed during those 15min chances are good it will pass a longer test so I can save some time while overclocking. I will however test final settings with a 60min run of Prime95. If it crashes I try final adjustments or dial the OC back a little bit.

Max temp for Ryzen 2 is 95°C according to AMD. You'll want to stay below 90°C during Prime95 torture. That will result in lower and more relaxed temps during normal usage.

P.S.: In order to reduce thermals in idle and therefore also noise, you'll want to make sure to adjust your energy settings in Windows and set a minimum frequency to like 10%. After setting a manual multiplier Ryzen won't make use of its power saving features and won't automatically downclock. No need for your CPU sitting at 4.2GHz for nothing or maybe just a browser window running Youtube. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!