Users with Z170i and using m.2 slots, please help!

aeffertz

Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to take advantage of the m.2 slot on my motherboard. I have an ASUS Z170i PRO GAMING motherboard. I'm currently running an SSD and HDD over sata and a GPU in the pci-e slot.

I picked up a Western Digital Black NVMe drive (link) but I'm out of ideas to get it to work. Yes, it is fully seated and screwed into place. After hours and hours of research I've yet to make any progress... It seems like I'm missing some settings in the bios compared to other people and I've just recently installed the newest version available. Does anyone have any ideas or did I just waste $120?

Currently at wits end because it seems like this shouldn't be that difficult of a process but I'm stumped. Here's some screen shot of the bios.

https://imgur.com/a/n8fclPP

Does anyone have any ideas?

5 minutes ago, aeffertz said:

Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to take advantage of the m.2 slot on my motherboard. I have an ASUS Z170i PRO GAMING motherboard. I'm currently running an SSD and HDD over sata and a GPU in the pci-e slot.

I picked up a Western Digital Black NVMe drive (link) but I'm out of ideas to get it to work. Yes, it is fully seated and screwed into place. After hours and hours of research I've yet to make any progress... It seems like I'm missing some settings in the bios compared to other people and I've just recently installed the newest version available. Does anyone have any ideas or did I just waste $120?

Currently at wits end because it seems like this shouldn't be that difficult of a process but I'm stumped. Here's some screen shot of the bios.

I had this issue too. I think I had to turn on intel rapid storage tech, which switches the SATA mode to RAID from AHCI. If you give me a few minutes I can reboot and look at my bios settings.

16 minutes ago, aeffertz said:

Hey everyone,

Ok, I have a list of settings you should at (my ssd is working btw and I have a very similar asus z170 mobo) First go to advanced mode, then...

1. Advanced>SATA Mode Configuration: [M.2 SSD] is set to  "M.2"

2. Advanced>PCH Storage Configuration>SATA Mode Selection is set to RAID

!NOTE! Changing the SATA made makes windows very confused and may blue screen when you boot. If this happens just change the settings back to what they where before and it will boot again.

3 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

Ok, I have a list of settings you should at (my ssd is working btw and I have a very similar asus z170 mobo) First go to advanced mode, then...

1. Advanced>SATA Mode Configuration: [M.2 SSD] is set to  "M.2"

2. Advanced>PCH Storage Configuration>SATA Mode Selection is set to RAID

!NOTE! Changing the SATA made makes windows very confused and may blue screen when you boot. If this happens just change the settings back to what they where before and it will boot again.

I don’t seem to have a SATA Mode Configuration anywhere under the admavced menu.