imac and printers

nour999

hi there i am new to the networking stuff and in my school i have this setup of 4 macs and 4 printers ,my plan is to buy a network switch and connect the 4 i macs and the 4 printers i have . so that i am able to print from any mac to any printer

i went on amazon and found this network switch : https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG108-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546888663&sr=8-5&keywords=Ethernet+switch

was wondering if i plug all the mac and printers via Ethernet will it work ? or not or if there is any easier or better way i can do this .thx in advance 

The only thing that matters is that the Macs and printers are on the same network. They don't need to be on the same switch necessarily. As long as the printers are configured so that the Macs can see them (often they need to support either AirPrint or Bonjour for this) you'll be fine. If the printers are for specific Macs, make sure the hostnames are different enough so you can differentiate between them.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

The only thing that matters is that the Macs and printers are on the same network. They don't need to be on the same switch necessarily. As long as the printers are configured so that the Macs can see them (often they need to support either AirPrint or Bonjour for this) you'll be fine. If the printers are for specific Macs, make sure the hostnames are different enough so you can differentiate between them.

one of the printers is Epson and when i tried to connect it to the network and have the mac on the same network i kept trying and the mac would not detect it wirelessly even though i already set up the drivers of the printer on the mac .that is why i am buying a switch

5 minutes ago, nour999 said:

one of the printers is Epson and when i tried to connect it to the network and have the mac on the same network i kept trying and the mac would not detect it wirelessly even though i already set up the drivers of the printer on the mac .that is why i am buying a switch

Wireless printers are the AIDS of the printer world, so yeah, get that ethernet cable. They constantly get new IP addresses.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Wireless printers are the AIDS of the printer world, so yeah, get that ethernet cable. They constantly get new IP addresses.

but are u sure if i get that switch and connect the mac and printers via Ethernet it will work? 

15 hours ago, nour999 said:

but are u sure if i get that switch and connect the mac and printers via Ethernet it will work? 

If the printers support bonjour or airprint, yes, they'll work. I'd personally give the printers a static IP just so they stay reachable.