New (First) Build

BSula99

Hello all,

I just ordered the parts to my new build. I should be able to swap out any parts as recommended for the next 24-48hrs or so before they ship, if necessary. You will notice I did not include a GPU; I already picked up a GTX 1080 TI to use in this build from a friend for $400, thus it being absent from the list. Please also provide any links you think would be useful for me to review prior to building, as this is my first desktop rig (moving away from gaming laptops). I would especially appreciate input on the display, as I am not really sure exactly what is the most balanced choice. I would prefer a large curved monitor as I feel it is more immersive, as well as high refresh rate and 1440p min. display and sub 10ms response time, tho I am not very certain if IPS or G-Sync is necessary (I intend on keeping this display for upwards of a decade). Do note I will upgrading CPU/MOBO with the release of Ryzen 3 later this year.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($236.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($247.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV TG (Gray) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor  ($894.69 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  ($65.01 @ Newegg)
Total: $2047.12

Thank you all.

It's pretty good, I can see nothing wrong

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@BSula99 why the mATX form factor?

I'm tight on room, don't like wasting space when not really necessary, and its a bit cheaper without greatly compromising function. Biggest issue with it is the mATX AMD boards seem to be quite lack luster. Hoping the new batch may be better. Do you happen to know any x470 boards that could fit well in the selected case? I would be willing to use an ITX board if necessary for better quality.

6 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

I'm tight on room, don't like wasting space when not really necessary, and its a bit cheaper without greatly compromising function. Biggest issue with it is the mATX AMD boards seem to be quite lack luster. Hoping the new batch may be better. Do you happen to know any x470 boards that could fit well in the selected case? I would be willing to use an ITX board if necessary for better quality.

MSI has the best of the B450 boards. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR/Overview

Space issues make sense, it just seemed strange.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

MSI has the best of the B450 boards. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR/Overview

Space issues make sense, it just seemed strange.

I live in barracks so limited room, frequent moves. Compact seems to be the way to go for the time being, and as I'm not trying to go extreme with components, I found it to be worthwhile.

1 minute ago, BSula99 said:

I live in barracks so limited room, frequent moves. Compact seems to be the way to go for the time being, and as I'm not trying to go extreme with components, I found it to be worthwhile.

Makes sense. It's a nice case. The MSI B450 boards are the best of this generation and should handle a swap to whatever AMD launches this upcoming year, maybe minus some 16c behemoth. 

Yea, I would go MSI. I think the B450 Mortar should fit your case. Don't cheap out too much on the motherboard. Otherwise looks good. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build