HELP - home NAS solution

Go to solution Solved by FloRolf,

I can imagine the MacBook is quite slow compared to what you can get. 

I'd suggest you buy a sweet 8core Ryzen for your Blender renders and run Unraid on it for NAS aswell as a render server. You might even be able to just use Linux or Windows on it and use shares on there to access over the network. I'd advice against FreeNAS for example, because that won't allow for the blender renders. 

Also, shame on you for not backing up your stuff! ;)

hi. Im a small video creator that uses macs and has never been able to backup anything. Currently the closest i have to a server is an old MacBook that renders blender projects so i can work on other things at the same time. It only has a 128gb drive in it (flash) that would cost around $500 to upgrade so I'm looking to get some other solution up to replace it. right now i'm considering ether getting a NAS and keeping the MacBook as a render machine or getting a old apple xserve and xserve raid, using a fiber card on the xserve and a  network switch to bundle the ethernet together, and selling the MacBook. i have priced out the second of the two to be around $450 before selling the MacBook. I also need something i can access remotely on a different network and am not all to concerned with speed (thus the network switch bottleneck). thanks :)

I can imagine the MacBook is quite slow compared to what you can get. 

I'd suggest you buy a sweet 8core Ryzen for your Blender renders and run Unraid on it for NAS aswell as a render server. You might even be able to just use Linux or Windows on it and use shares on there to access over the network. I'd advice against FreeNAS for example, because that won't allow for the blender renders. 

Also, shame on you for not backing up your stuff! ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

thanks but i do still need to run a mac due to because i use final cut (amongst other things). a hackintosh is an option but i would like to refrain from replacing me and my friends systems.

1 minute ago, frodotheturtle said:

thanks but i do still need to run a mac due to because i use final cut (amongst other things).

Please use the quote button so I can see you've replied :)

But you can still use Mac on your main editing rig? I'd just not run it on the NAS unless you really also need the NAS to run Mac only programs in which case a hackintosh would probably be a good solution? I can't really speak for that though as I'm not an apple person. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

Please use the quote button so I can see you've replied :)

But you can still use Mac on your main editing rig? I'd just not run it on the NAS unless you really also need the NAS to run Mac only programs in which case a hackintosh would probably be a good solution? I can't really speak for that though as I'm not an apple person

sorry I misinterpreted your message. i thought you were suggesting upgrading my main rig. thanks :)