Cheap Chinese GTX 1060, are they worth it?

EggySplat

OK, so I've been out of building hardware for many years, and now, inspired by the scrapyard wars, I want to see if I can get salvage / 2nd user parts and make something great.

One thing I've struggled with is a graphics card. I have 2 X matched Xeons so I have no integrated graphics to rely on. I can't find anything in the UK graphics wise that isn't expensive (even locally in 2nd user). However, on eBay there's some Chinese "GTX 1060" cards for £60 GBP.

I say GTX 1060 loosely as I can't understand how they would be so cheap. I'm guessing they're not genuinely 1060 cards and, I'd probably get what I'd pay for (ie not a lot)

Just wondering if any of you have any experience of them at all and could offer any advice? A link to one of them is https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352548944120 (item number 352548944120 just in case I can't post a link)

Any advice would be greatly received.

That one, ain't no way in hell it's real.

The seller is based out of Singapore (apparently), ships from Manchester in the United Kingdom (also apparently) and seems to only sell cheap Chinese shit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

highly likely this is a scam one way or another highly recommend avoiding it

I figured as much. I've been stung by the Chinese scam stuff before when buying a "Samsung Gear S3" and ended up with the cheapest Bluetooth "Smart" watch on the planet. No way in hell am I going through PayPal buyer protection again :/

Thank you for the advice though. Certainly appreciated

15 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

PayPal is really easy to go through aslong as you make sure what you pay for is a business transaction, and not "family and friends"... Then again, when it's an obvious scam like this, don't buy it.

Yep, staying clear of it. With the watch, PayPal were ok, it was just a long drawn out process as I had to go into dialog with the seller for just under four weeks before they agreed to refund the item. I've avoided them for most things that were obvious fakes since then. Suspected that the GPU's here would also be potatoes :)

20 minutes ago, campy said:

No such thing as a real cheap Chinese gpu.

Actual Chinese AIBs like ASL, Yeston, Maxsun, etc are super expensive.

Its a fake card.

60 Britbux should get you an older midrange card no problem, like a GTX 660/660ti or 750.

IMG_3441.PNG

Thanks for that :) I've had another look around on local sales and on Facebook marketplace and there's an ASUS 1050ti for £90. Certainly seems a bit more worth it than the Chinese ones :P