OS takes an age to boot

Go to solution Solved by ainsey11,

I fixed it, I just needed to set the C drive as active so it was included in the boot

Good Evening,

I know what you're thinking :/ No, I don't need more RAM ;)

I have been having a problem with my win 7 pc. It takes about half an hour to boot. When I boot into safe mode it sticks at CLASSPNP.SYS then eventually boots. I have done an boot log and there are many "did not load driver" lines. I figured this would be bad...

I have tried sfc /scannow and done all the obvious hardware checks but nothing works :( Also renaming the classpnp.sys does not work. System restore did not fix it either. or startup repair( as if that ever works!)

My drives are like this: post-18386-0-53529100-1389636592.png

Is this because the system partition is on the 120gb ide drive? I did not install windows with anything other than the ssd plugged in. (confused as to why it says system...)

The ntbtlog.txt is : ntbtlog.txt

I do not want to re-install win 7 as there is a lot of things on this pc..

Thanks for all your help guys

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Invest in an ssd? You can transfer your os over

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

The drive itself could be very slow or dying, or you could also have a lot of programs running on startup. Go to msconfig (type it in the start menu) then under startup untick the things that look like you dont need. Make sure you double check though as some services may be there that are used by things like your graphics card that may seem unfamiliar. Anyway check that out ;) Since there is room on that drive, try running a virtual machine with windows 7 in it and see how long that takes to boot. that should give you some idea of where the problem lies.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Best thing to do after any OS starts taking a long time to boot is a fresh install. I've tried all possible ways of making it faster, but everything I tried was just a marginal improvement. Fresh install is the solution.

P.S.: If that doesn't work it's a hardware problem

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

My C drive is an ssd, My MSconfig is also cleared right down as is the list of services. My hard drive is not failing, The S.M.A.R.T status is fine and the ssd is all tickety boo. 

However it has just dawned on me that I did have avast! on my system which I had to remove.. (would explain the aswXX.sys files)

I have also ran a check with rufus and FRST64 with no avail..

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Well considering at least two of your HDDs are IDE I wouldn't be surprised if they're Sata 1 and that being the cause for the low performance. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Well considering at least two of your HDDs are IDE I wouldn't be surprised if they're Sata 1 and that being the cause for the low performance. 

Still, an SSD on SATA1 shouldn't be slower then an (old) HDD which should boot Windows in like 2 minutes

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I have only been having this problem over the past week or so, The ide's do not have any os on them so they will not affect boot up time 

I fixed it, I just needed to set the C drive as active so it was included in the boot

+1

Maybe this is why my brothers 8350 + SSD takes 90s to startup... he isnt even bothered to figure it out but it drives me bonkers that his PC isnt running at its peak...

Must look into this while he's at work tomorrow, surprise the crap out of him if its this and he gets his 20s or less boot time back :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

+1

Maybe this is why my brothers 8350 + SSD takes 90s to startup... he isnt even bothered to figure it out but it drives me bonkers that his PC isnt running at its peak...

Must look into this while he's at work tomorrow, surprise the crap out of him if its this and he gets his 20s or less boot time back :)

did it work?

did it work?

Nope, his SSD was the active HD, and nothing I see is the cause, maybe its his Mobo not being UEFI and taking ages...

Note - I think UEFI is for the motherboard starting components at the same time right? as compared to one by one without it, taking longer.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Did you deactivate the 120G drive?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Did you deactivate the 120G drive?

nope :)

Nope, his SSD was the active HD, and nothing I see is the cause, maybe its his Mobo not being UEFI and taking ages...

Note - I think UEFI is for the motherboard starting components at the same time right? as compared to one by one without it, taking longer.

Check that the ssd port is in AHCI mode