Liquid+Air Cooling

Go to solution Solved by Imbellis,

Yes - you can use an AIO (all in one) for the CPU while leaving the rest of the PC air-cooled. Here's a link to some: (PCPartpicker AIOs)

There are 4 groups that people usually choose from - 120mm (1 120mm fan), 140mm(1 140mm fan), 240mm (2 120mm fans), 280mm (2 140mm fas).

The larger you go, the better cooling capacity and noise you'll get. Most people go with 240mm.

However, I'd really recommend a high-end air cooler (such as the Noctua D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4) - they'll be quieter (while being cheaper) and cool about the same as a 240mm AIO. They also last longer and still passively cool a fan breaks (compared to an AIO where if the pump dies, your CPU will slow down as far as it can).

I was wondering if I could use a liquid cooled heat-sink and air cooling for the rest of my build? Is this possible? Sorry this is my first build.

Like have a liquid cooled CPU with a closed loop cooler and an air cooled graphics card? sure you can. I would watch some build videos on youtube by LTT, gamers nexus, pauls hardware, bitwit, jayz2cents  to see how PCs are built since this is a really basic question which is ok but I would be worried you might be missing additional info on how to pick parts and whats compatible etc.

Yes - you can use an AIO (all in one) for the CPU while leaving the rest of the PC air-cooled. Here's a link to some: (PCPartpicker AIOs)

There are 4 groups that people usually choose from - 120mm (1 120mm fan), 140mm(1 140mm fan), 240mm (2 120mm fans), 280mm (2 140mm fas).

The larger you go, the better cooling capacity and noise you'll get. Most people go with 240mm.

However, I'd really recommend a high-end air cooler (such as the Noctua D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4) - they'll be quieter (while being cheaper) and cool about the same as a 240mm AIO. They also last longer and still passively cool a fan breaks (compared to an AIO where if the pump dies, your CPU will slow down as far as it can).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Alright, Thanks for the help I'll be looking into some good air cooler. Thanks!