GTX 1070 TI or RTX 2070 for Engineering Student

SOLO_AVENGER

I am currently an engineering student in the UK so my main uses of the GPU will be Autodesk Inventor, Matlab and games. Other potential uses in the future will be Autodesk Maya and video rendering although I don't know how serious those will be. I just bought an EVGA 1070 Ti FTW Ultra Silent for £405 from Amazon, however I am wondering if I should cancel my order and go for an MSI 2070 Gaming Z or an EVGA 2070 XC Ultra, both of which are £550.

My current GPU is a Radeon HD 7770, so it really needs an upgrade however I am willing to wait for that upgrade. I currently only play CS:GO and R6, however when I upgrade my GPU I will also be playing other games like The Witcher 3, GTA V and Cyberpunk 2077. My current CPU is an FX-6300, however that will be upgraded later in the year to the highest I7 available or a Ryzen 3000 series chip if available.

Other options for me include the RTX 2060 and AMD's next GPU, or the Asus Strix Vega 64 which can be had for £415. My concern with AMD though is that some of the applications listed support CUDA and so I will not be able to use the CUDA accelerated features with an AMD GPU. I am unsure about how useful ray-tracing will be, I doubt Autodesk will add real-time ray tracing to Inventor anytime soon, however I am interested in Maya's implementation of ray-tracing (although I still don't know how seriously I will use Maya). Seeing as the RTX GPUs mentioned both have less CUDA cores than the 1070 Ti, I am wondering if the RTX GPUs will perform worse in CUDA accelerated applications, such with video rendering and Matlab, than the 1070 Ti.

I am planning on keeping this computer for four to six years, maybe more if I don't need an upgrade, and I am looking to get at a 144Hz or 240Hz 1080p monitor within the next two years.

Thanks for any help with this.

You're good with the 1070 ti. FTW especially, it's a high tier version. I recommend you list your CPU, having such a drastic jump in GPU will lead to thoughts of bottlenecks.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

the RTX 2080 ti is barely optimized enough to run Battlefield 1 using the new RTX. Some of the highest frames ive personally seen is around 70fps. That's at 1080p I believe. Personally id buy the 1070 ti because its more optimized and costs less. But you could also maybe save up a little and buy a 1080 ti.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

You're good with the 1070 ti. FTW especially, it's a high tier version. I recommend you list your CPU, having such a drastic jump in GPU will lead to thoughts of bottlenecks.

The CPU at the moment is an FX-6300 so it will definitely be a bottleneck, however it will be upgraded later in the year once the Ryzen 3000 series is released.

Just now, SOLO_AVENGER said:

The CPU at the moment is an FX-6300 so it will definitely be a bottleneck, however it will be upgraded later in the year once the Ryzen 3000 series is released.

Well then I'd say you're sitting pretty in terms of graphics horsepower. You can rest assured that come time for your new CPU, it will make your rig a great one.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Well then I'd say you're sitting pretty in terms of graphics horsepower. You can rest assured that come time for your new CPU, it will make your rig a great one.

Do you think DLSS will make a huge difference in games?

Do you think DLSS will make a huge difference in games?

11 minutes ago, AgentAY said:

the RTX 2080 ti is barely optimized enough to run Battlefield 1 using the new RTX. Some of the highest frames ive personally seen is around 70fps. That's at 1080p I believe. Personally id buy the 1070 ti because its more optimized and costs less. But you could also maybe save up a little and buy a 1080 ti.

From what I hear, BFV doesn't use RT cores, so maybe RT performance in future games will be much better, especially with DLSS. However Maya interests me more when it comes to ray tracing, so I am wondering if an RTX card would be more useful from that viewpoint, although I am not very serious with Maya yet. Can't really get any 1080 Tis here in the UK.

well RTX 2070 does perform better than a GTX 1070 (even the TI model) on engineering applications.

I bought an RTX 2070 for deep learning applications, thats quite similar to Matlab computation requirements.

You can read this review that help me decide which one to get.

timdettmers.com/2018/11/05/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

3 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

well RTX 2070 does perform better than a GTX 1070 (even the TI model) on engineering applications.

I bought an RTX 2070 for deep learning applications, thats quite similar to Matlab computation requirements.

You can read this review that help me decide which one to get.

timdettmers.com/2018/11/05/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

I may just return the 1070 ti and go for a 2060 (based on leaked specs at the moment), and then sell the 2060 and buy a 2170 (or whatever it is called) when nvidias next generation of gpus are released because right now I don't think the tech used in turing gpus is mature enough.

11 minutes ago, SOLO_AVENGER said:

I may just return the 1070 ti and go for a 2060 (based on leaked specs at the moment), and then sell the 2060 and buy a 2170 (or whatever it is called) when nvidias next generation of gpus are released because right now I don't think the tech used in turing gpus is mature enough.

yeah, unless you dont get a really good deal for an RTX, it doesnt worth it. I got mine for 450, thats the only reason I bought it. I think you should wait for CES and wait for nvidia prices to drop, hopefully 

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

Just now, jtomasrl said:

yeah, unless you dont get a really good deal for an RTX, it doesnt worth it. I got mine for 450, thats the only reason I bought it. I think you should wait for CES and wait for nvidia prices to drop, hopefully 

Yeah I will wait for CES, nvidia's keynote is only a few days away. What 2070 did you get?

5 hours ago, SOLO_AVENGER said:

Yeah I will wait for CES, nvidia's keynote is only a few days away. What 2070 did you get?

EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming, better cooling than Black edition

11 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming, better cooling than Black edition

Where did you find that card for 450?

3 hours ago, SOLO_AVENGER said:

Where did you find that card for 450?

B&H Photo Video

On 1/3/2019 at 3:35 PM, SOLO_AVENGER said:

I am currently an engineering student in the UK so my main uses of the GPU will be Autodesk Inventor, Matlab and games. Other potential uses in the future will be Autodesk Maya and video rendering although I don't know how serious those will be. I just bought an EVGA 1070 Ti FTW Ultra Silent for £405 from Amazon, however I am wondering if I should cancel my order and go for an MSI 2070 Gaming Z or an EVGA 2070 XC Ultra, both of which are £550.

My current GPU is a Radeon HD 7770, so it really needs an upgrade however I am willing to wait for that upgrade. I currently only play CS:GO and R6, however when I upgrade my GPU I will also be playing other games like The Witcher 3, GTA V and Cyberpunk 2077. My current CPU is an FX-6300, however that will be upgraded later in the year to the highest I7 available or a Ryzen 3000 series chip if available.

Other options for me include the RTX 2060 and AMD's next GPU, or the Asus Strix Vega 64 which can be had for £415. My concern with AMD though is that some of the applications listed support CUDA and so I will not be able to use the CUDA accelerated features with an AMD GPU. I am unsure about how useful ray-tracing will be, I doubt Autodesk will add real-time ray tracing to Inventor anytime soon, however I am interested in Maya's implementation of ray-tracing (although I still don't know how seriously I will use Maya). Seeing as the RTX GPUs mentioned both have less CUDA cores than the 1070 Ti, I am wondering if the RTX GPUs will perform worse in CUDA accelerated applications, such with video rendering and Matlab, than the 1070 Ti.

I am planning on keeping this computer for four to six years, maybe more if I don't need an upgrade, and I am looking to get at a 144Hz or 240Hz 1080p monitor within the next two years.

Thanks for any help with this.

I think you should save your money and let the new year sink in a bit.  Then in Feb or March you can decide what you want to do and youll have lots of options.  Firstly if your going to do autodesk and Maya and video editing or rendering then grab the 1070Ti ...  Already bottlenecked useless to get a 2070 or 2080 and what not.  Also when you upgrade CPU you will see a majore boost in frame rate.  So you have that to look forward to.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

B&H Photo Video

DId you pay £450?

1 hour ago, Turtle Rig said:

I think you should save your money and let the new year sink in a bit.  Then in Feb or March you can decide what you want to do and youll have lots of options.  Firstly if your going to do autodesk and Maya and video editing or rendering then grab the 1070Ti ...  Already bottlenecked useless to get a 2070 or 2080 and what not.  Also when you upgrade CPU you will see a majore boost in frame rate.  So you have that to look forward to.

What do you think of going with the Vega 64 for my workload? It's essentially the same price as the 1070 ti.

21 minutes ago, SOLO_AVENGER said:

DId you pay £450?

What do you think of going with the Vega 64 for my workload? It's essentially the same price as the 1070 ti.

You can get the Vega 64.. main difference is it has more VRAM and has OpenGL standards and all that jazz.  Not a lot of people buy a Vega for gaming,, usually video editing and all that.. It might cause a issue in certain games.  I think just go with the 1070Ti used if you can.  You can game @ 2k res with the 1070Ti but depends on CPU too.   Your going to always have it so youll use the video card on your next upgrade...… get a nice cpu and mobo and ram and go at it.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card