Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

External HHD vs SSD

I am looking to purchase an external storage source and would like some help plz.

will be used to back up important work and to transfer files from University/College to my home setup

Budget: £50, $65, $85CAD

Is it ok to carry a portable HHD in the long term or is it worth going for a portable SSD

Is it worth purchasing a USB-C drive when transferring files (Is there benefits for the future or extra compatibility)?

If i were to purchase a portable SSD, is it worth waiting a few months to see if prices fall or for better capacity for this price?

Manny Thanks

1) SSD

2) depends if you have USB C ports on both computers at either end

3) prices will always fall the more you wait. Depends how long you want to wait.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd argue that more capacity is better than performance for this use case unless you happen to be transferring files in the gigabytes range all the time. So getting a portable HDD for your budget will get you more space.

Also USB-C doesn't say anything about transfer speeds. You have to figure out if it's USB 3.0/3.1 compliant which most portable drives are these days.

9 minutes ago, R.C said:

external storage source

All new HDD will park their heads when powered down so as long as you don't drop it.

But an SSD or M.2 in a USB enclosure would be much more durable if you don't need the large storage of HDDs.

Wouldn't bother with USB C at this point unless you specifically need it. You can get adapter dongles either way.

My crystal ball is broken, but prices are pretty good now.